right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Connect with admissions counselors from 50+ schools, get advice for your admissions journey, and more! RSVP NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Shorter semester and classes half online but costs the same?

toomanyteenstoomanyteens 1172 replies71 threads Senior Member
I have seen no change in my girls' room charges or their tuition. They are 'going back' but only at half seated class and will be back home weeks earlier. One of the girls' tuition is even higher than last year?

What experiences are others having with this?
24 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Shorter semester and classes half online but costs the same?

• Tigerwife92Tigerwife92 206 replies3 threads Junior Member
    @toomanyteens DD's school postponed move in for 5 weeks; classes will begin on time, online. We received a credit for room/board for the 5 weeks. I would not expect a tuition reduction for online or hybrid, since it's more expensive for the school (new software, apps, licensing fees, cameras in classrooms, mics, etc.). I do not expect a reduction in housing once they move in, since she will be in the dorm, even if only attending each class once or twice a week; I think a small reduction in the meal plan cost would be nice, since they will have fewer options and will not have "unlimited" access to the dining hall. I hope/expect there will be a room/board credit, if they don't return to campus after Thanksgiving (which is probably going to be the case). I know several people have decided to defer, thinking the hybrid or online doesn't have the same value for them personally. I get that; we left it up to DD. She was emphatic, no deferral.
    · Reply · Share
  • helpingmom40helpingmom40 440 replies10 threads Member
    DD’s school has them arriving on schedule but clearing out before Thanksgiving with online classes from home until finals. No room and board reduction (used to have 24-hour dining with unlimited swipes but now there will be delivered meals to rooms for the first 2 weeks for quarantine and limited access after) and a 3.5% tuition increase. About 7% of the students have already decided to stay home with more expected to do so once the final decisions are made about which classes are in person.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10834 replies134 threads Senior Member
    D's school arrives on schedule, out by Thanksgiving too. It's about a 2 week difference. Tuition is the same (year 9 of a tuition freeze) but they increased the number of meal plan dollars and swipes for the same cost as last year. Usually they don't include Sunday dinner but they want to encourage students to remain on campus. If students opted for fully online, there was a tuition discount equivalent to summer session (about 15% off).
    · Reply · Share
  • 1Lotus1Lotus 377 replies25 threads Member
    S19 originally had 2 in person, 2 online classes and we were going to send him back...then a week or two ago he discovered all were online. They start as scheduled but ending in person classes at Thanksgiving break. Kind of disappointing hat he won’t be going back because I feel like he gained a lot of independence and some forced socialization (on spectrum). We couldn’t see spending thousands of dollars on room and board for online classes and he is fine with staying home and taking classes online. We do risk him not having housing in the spring, but he may have all online classes then as well and stay home. Hoping that all will be better by 2021.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1851 replies2 threads Senior Member
    S17 just switched to all online, except lab classes. He'll go back since he's off campus in a 2 person 2 bedroom apartment and we're locked into the lease anyway. But the university did announce a 10% tuition cut a couple weeks ago.
    · Reply · Share
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens 1172 replies71 threads Senior Member
    @Tigerwife92 As one of mine is a senior they kind of have us by the short hairs! I mean what are we going to do at this point? They already decided to vacate at Thanksgiving but no word on lowered room rate.
    · Reply · Share
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens 1172 replies71 threads Senior Member
    DD’s school has them arriving on schedule but clearing out before Thanksgiving with online classes from home until finals. No room and board reduction (used to have 24-hour dining with unlimited swipes but now there will be delivered meals to rooms for the first 2 weeks for quarantine and limited access after) and a 3.5% tuition increase. About 7% of the students have already decided to stay home with more expected to do so once the final decisions are made about which classes are in person.

Maddening isn't it? We saw a tuition increase too.
    · Reply · Share
  • Dream20schoolDream20school 47 replies0 threads Junior Member
    My son's school sent survey to all student's to select preferred mode of instruction. Then we learned the survey doesn't mean anything to us. Originally we thought the school would accommodate the students' preference but actually course offerings are based on professors' preference of mode of instruction. I went to school website to monitor the list of the courses held totally online every day. It is a huge list. So we decided to just stay home studying online.
    · Reply · Share
  • Dream20schoolDream20school 47 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Forgot to mention that there is no talk about any tuition discount on school website. No emails either.
    · Reply · Share
  • Tigerwife92Tigerwife92 206 replies3 threads Junior Member
    @toomanyteens ugghh, so sorry for your daughter. I hope they decide to give you guys a prorated credit. Good luck this year; I hope they all stay healthy!
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 25278 replies20 threads Senior Member
    I think a discount will not happen. The schools are facing the same increases in costs that we all are at the grocery store every day. The costs of groceries, cleaning products, gas. Many restaurants or take out around here have a 'covid charge' of $2+ on the tabs.

The schools may be serving less food because no more 'all you can eat' but they'll need a lot of paper products, individual ketchup and salt packets, lots of foil, papers, bags, boxes and people to deliver those take out meals and more people to clean up the trash.
    · Reply · Share
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 1033 replies8 threads Senior Member
    I wouldn't expect a tuition discount - the school will probably say you are paying for credits which you are still receiving. Our room and board are adjusted based on total weeks to correspond with leaving campus before Thanksgiving (online finals right after and done by Dec 4th).

All of the professors at my daughter's school could pick their option - in person or online. Other than a handful of classes that have to be in person (say a specific nursing class) students have the option of doing an in person class remotely. In a few classes where the room is now too small to support the whole class with everyone 6 feet apart half of the class may go one day and do remote the next class etc. My daughter's classes all appear to be in person classes. Our tuition did go up but maybe about $200. Considering how much money our school has spent on changes many of which are safety related I didn't find it be upsetting.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1851 replies2 threads Senior Member
    Our school gave a 10% tuition discount. Courses are online except for labs, but plans to go in person if it becomes an option.
    · Reply · Share
  • FaithaboveFaithabove 121 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited August 9
    Actually, if the campuses are mostly closed (going all online/remote), the costs should go down. Utilities, reduction in staff (yes, that hurts but not students' responsibility to pay for workers not working).

But no need for the schools to pass on any savings (unless pressed) since they anticipate an enrollment decline anyway and some may still be paying off what happened in the Spring.

Those that have, kudos to them.
    edited August 9
    · Reply · Share
  • FaithaboveFaithabove 121 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited August 9
    I am talking custodial. Lab techs unless they are able to assist online. Mail room staff (not as many needed perhaps). Positions whose jobs cannot be done remotely.
    Also less facilities workers needed if less use of the rooms.
    But true, the savings may not be that much when schools are looking at the losses they took in the Spring.

Also, lots of businesses and families are taking a hit, many are hurting, though this is off topic.
    edited August 9
    · Reply · Share
  • User2987456User2987456 68 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I have kids at three different state schools none are reducing tuition. One school has stated that there will be no room and board refund after move in. So if they close after a month you are home and out the money. BUT if you decide to not return to dorm in the fall (and not take that financial chance) you also give up your housing in the spring which could be a real problem depending on spring plans. State school #2 is giving a $400 discount if ALL of your classes are on line. Of course many students have 1 class in person so they are not even getting that ohhh so generous 1% . The $400 is supposed to represent a discount on facilities since they are not running much of the transportation throughout campus and activities at the rec center which tuition should be covering. School 3 is financially all the same as usual.
    · Reply · Share
  • 123Mom123123Mom123 306 replies9 threads Member
    @User2987456 - That is just awful. Talk about strong arming students into fall housing. Sheez. Sorry you have lose/lose options.
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 10173 replies393 threads Senior Member
    Students don't pay for residential college. Parents do. The main thing they're paying for is tuition, and those charges are typically calculated by credit hour not how long the semester is or whether or not class is in person or remote. If colleges haven't reduced the number of credits they're awarding, why would they reduce tuition?

Room and board works the same way. If OP's child is getting a dorm room and meal plan for the semester then they should expect to be charged for them. The college isn't saving money in overhead by shortening the semester. Do families think college staffs go home when students leave? Breaks are when deep cleaning, deferred maintenance, and most projects happen. The other positions that can't be done remotely are generally held by vendors. Colleges don't see any savings when vendors lay off staff, so there are no savings to pass on.

Remote courses cost more than in person classes. Faculty need additional equipment and tech services that they didn't need for face to face classes. Labs still have to be set up, experiments recorded (and rerecorded if lighting is bad or there's a technical issue), and then cleaned up for the next one. They're actually doing more work (that of a lab tech plus the responsibilities of a production assistant) for no additional pay.

Do families want a discount based on the savings from laying off staff? For a 5,000 student campus the lost job of one custodial worker will save you about $10 bucks each. An administrative assistant would net you about $4. Junior faculty are better targets. The "savings" for them starts at ~$12-15.

· Reply · Share