Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

"In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

Replies to: "In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

• candacecandace Registered User Posts: 469 Member
    I live near UCF, Rollins and Stetson. I will fill that role for one of my daughter's friends that is coming to Stetson from Pittsburgh. I hope he will like August in central Florida!
  • molliebatmitmolliebatmit Registered User Posts: 12,374
    I'm in the Boston/Cambridge area -- too many colleges and universities to list. :)

I'm also a grad student, not a parent, but I would still be more than happy to have somebody's kid over and feed him/her a square meal!
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon Registered User Posts: 12,128 Senior Member
    I can be really helpful for a Baylor kid . E-mail is the way to go.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon Registered User Posts: 12,128 Senior Member
    momof3sons, use the "go advanced" option. There will be a title block. Fill it in and it's auto bold.
  • SpringfieldMomSpringfieldMom Registered User Posts: 1,066 Senior Member
    I am less than 1 mile from Swarthmore (I guess that makes me a "townie") and within striking distance of many other western suburb colleges such as Villanova and St. Joe's. PM or email me and I'll give you my cell.
  • andiandi Registered User Posts: 1,600 Senior Member
    Boston and Cambridge area schools + Brandeis

pm me for contact info
  • RachachaRachacha Registered User Posts: 1,266 Senior Member
    Rochester Area, NY

I live a few miles from SUNY Geneseo, one of my offices is across the street from the Eastman School (University of Rochester), and another office is a couple of miles from both the U of R River Campus and Rochester Institute of Techology (right by the airport). I know and work with people fluent in ASL if the issue is with an NTID student at RIT.

I also have an office close to SUNY Binghamton, but am not there that often. I'd be more helpful answering questions about the local stuff...

Feel free to PM if anyone has questions
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons Registered User Posts: 5,116 Senior Member
    Thanks for the info about the titles, curm. I never paid attention to that before.

Hey SpringfieldMom, is it too early or too late to ask you to harass a soon-to-be grad from Swarthmore to get his "fancy" clothes over to the dry cleaners in the ville? ;) He may need to wear them in a week or so.
  • SpringfieldMomSpringfieldMom Registered User Posts: 1,066 Senior Member
    Give me his phone no. I'll call him and say I'm from the fashion police.
  • AtlmomAtlmom Registered User Posts: 806 Member
    I forgot to mention Spellman, Atlanta U, Georgia Tech, Morehouse, Georgia State U.
  • mapmap Registered User Posts: 322 Member
    I live and work at the edge of the Brown campus.
  • shennieshennie Registered User Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Attended graduate school there and have been a resident of Madison for 25 years. Hubby is an administrator in a large department. PM is best for contact.
  • ReneeVReneeV Registered User Posts: 659 Member
    I am in western Germany, very close to Trier and Luxembourg City, within a few hours of Brussels, Maastricht, Frankfurt, and Heidelberg. PM for contact.

I like this idea. My daughter's friend's grandma is here visiting and came up to me after church to let me know that she lives an hour or so away from where my daughter will be in school in PA, and that was really comforting to me.

Berurah, I assure you, if I am ever in KS, you will get a PM from me, and I want one if you head to Germany. You seem like one of the kindest-hearted people in the world, and I would love to meet you some day!
    :)
  • fireflyscoutfireflyscout Registered User Posts: 5,428 Senior Member
    Hmm - this time next year, my daughter will be in Maastricht.

I'm about 45 minutes from Rice and University of Houston, an hour from Texas A&M.
  • citygirlsmomcitygirlsmom - Posts: 13,158 Senior Member
    San Francisco, baby!! So we have USF, SF State, Marin schools, Oakland, Stanford, Berkeley, and points north

M D will be in NYC....