Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

"In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

Replies to: "In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

• calmomcalmom Registered User Posts: 19,924 Senior Member
    I'm another parent in the SF area -- right outside of SF, about 30 minutes from Stanford, 40 minutes from Berkeley, 20 minutes or so from USF. And also with a kid in NY.

(Hey, CGM, life has just gotten sooo much easier because Jet Blue now flies into SFO -- no more driving across the bay for cheap fares. Just a word of warning, they are in the International Terminal, good to know if you are picking up or dropping off. My d. flew in Saturday night with a huge amount of luggage -- and we had a little bit of a hike back to the car due to my mistaken assumption that a domestic flight would come into a domestic terminal).
  • msteemstee Registered User Posts: 3,135 Senior Member
    East Bay parent here, close to Berkeley, Cal State Hayward (now renamed as Cal State University East Bay or something like that), etc.
  • frazzled1frazzled1 Registered User Posts: 5,656 Senior Member
    in descending order of proximity.

This is a great idea, OP! One especially nice parent on this board (hello, SplashMom :)) very kindly offered me assistance when my d, who attends school in her area, was sick with the flu. She also patiently offered this timid driver suggestions for dealing with the traffic on I-65 and I-40 in Nashville. It's not likely I can ever do the same for her, but maybe I can help someone else.
  • jmmomjmmom Registered User Posts: 9,084 Senior Member
    Also UMaine, UNew England and reasonably close to UNew Hampshire

(when I say "close" to Colby, I am really about 2 hours away. But nobody is much closer ;) ) The others are within 45 minutes, except UNH
  • jmmomjmmom Registered User Posts: 9,084 Senior Member
    For part of the winter, I am in Baja California and frequently in San Diego... so that would cover UCSD, San Diego State, USan Diego
  • ucsd_ucla_daducsd_ucla_dad Registered User Posts: 8,573 Senior Member
    San Diego full time for me.
  • Karen CollegesKaren Colleges Registered User Posts: 1,752 Senior Member
    Bangladesh
    This is a great thread. Great idea.
  • Erin's MomErin's Mom Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    I see others are up my way too....waving "hi" to my fellow NoCal parents!We're really close to SF State....some connections w/Stanford, but most of my resources are at the SoCal UC's...... UCSD, Irvine, UCLA (I'm an alum). Science/Med....talk to me. :)

DD is in Philly starting Sept......so I'll probably PM some of you.
  • momof2incamomof2inca Registered User Posts: 3,484 Senior Member
    Great idea!
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 17,945 Senior Member
    So we're willing to trust our children's welfare to a total stranger we've met on the Internet?

OK, I just wanted to be sure I understood what we were doing.
  • JustaMomJustaMom Registered User Posts: 2,557 Senior Member
    PM for more info.

That's UCIrvine
  • berurahberurah - Posts: 4,560 Senior Member
    VeryHappy wrote:
    So we're willing to trust our children's welfare to a total stranger we've met on the Internet?
    A stranger?? MOI??? I've never met a stranger--they're pretty much all friends within a short time! *LOL* :D

I doubt anyone would call on someone that they didn't have a pretty good feel for, and yes, I've definitely come close to asking some of these great folks for help on an occasion or two. Kat has been wonderful in offering help, especially when my son was needing to put his stuff in storage, but we were able to get it worked out w/o bothering her. Still, I so appreciated her offer! :) And I'd help out, no questions asked, for my CC buddies, ANYTIME!

~berurah
  • MikksmomMikksmom Registered User Posts: 347 Member
    all within Allentown area...glad to help where I can!

PM for cell if needed
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Registered User Posts: 7,722 Senior Member
    Lehigh, Muhlenberg, Moravian, Cedar Crest, DeSales, Lafayette

All within 45 minutes. All except Lafayette withing 15 minutes.

Hey Mikksmom, you beat me to it!
  • papabearpapabear Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I'm in San Diego - very close to UCSD, and in the vicinity of U San Diego and San Diego State. Would be very glad to help!