Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

"In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

1363738394042»

Replies to: "In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

• basil2000basil2000 Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    I’m in RI near Brown, RISD, PC and Johnson and Wales. I’m happy to help if needed.
  • TorrchaseTorrchase Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    My son has applied to Brown. Can you tell me something about the surrounding area near the campus?
  • Nocreativity1Nocreativity1 Registered User Posts: 839 Member
    @Torrchase- good luck to your son. I just returned from a trip to Providence. The city is home to 6 colleges all in relatively close proximity. Brown, RISDI, Roger Williams, Providence and Johnson Wales and a URI campus. Consequently the town has a youthful, hipster feel juxtaposed against an old industrial city. Think cobble stones, micro breweries, amazing Italian food on Federal hill, river fire, smoke stacks and windmills (look them up).

We have discovered over a dozen great resteraunts. Look up Rosalina, Mills Tavern, Hemenways to get an idea. Generally the best a small city has to offer such as the RISDI museum, ice rink in the park, and local zoo. It is almost all within walking distance. Yes there are some homeless people but never felt unsafe.

Brown sits at the top of a steep hill from downtown. To get there you walk through RISDI campus but will know you have arrived at Brown when you get to the Van Wickle gates. Once you pass through you will be walking through several quads that most people think of as Brown's campus. Several nice statues, an eclectic assortment of architecture and a distinct "Ivy League" Pre revolutionary war feel. The school's footprint extends well beyond these walls however. The athletic buildings (with the exception of the football stadium and rugby fields are a little further away) are a short walk up Thayer street. Thayer is where the Brown bookstore and students tend to eat and hang out. Pita stores, Ben Jerrys, boutiques etc line the street.

I hope this helps and please PM me with any questions. We love the city and school.
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 Registered User Posts: 1,035 Senior Member
    @nocreativity1 We love Hemenways! Also Los Andes has amazing Peruvian food and Jahunger is an Uyghur restaurant offering the most popular/ authentic cuisines from Northwestern China. @Torrchase walk down Wickenden street-lots of little shops and restaurants.
  • Nocreativity1Nocreativity1 Registered User Posts: 839 Member
    edited March 11
    @Emsomom1 we love Los Andes as well :-* In fact I crave their food, great call!
    Left it out because it is at the edge of walking distance from Brown campus. We will have to try Jahunger sounds great. We also enjoyed Cafe Nuovo (a little more formal) but great spot for river fire, Circe and Siena.

@Torrchase if visiting several great close proximity hotels. We have stayed at the following three; Hotel Providence has a boutique feel and is in an older building. Spacious rooms...mention Brown and it costs about $150 a night for a king size room except parents weekend.

Omni feels a little more corporate. Positioned between the mall (Bed Bath Beyond) and the Brown campus. A little corporate and cookie cut out but solid alternative. Great for move in freshman year.

Biltmore is a very nice older room looking over a park (ice skating rink) and bus station off to one side. Nice rooms but the homeless issue is a little more on display on the perimeter of the park near the bus stop.

In all cases you are less than a 10 minute walk up college hill to Brown's campus. Hope this helps.
  • TorrchaseTorrchase Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Thanks for the help. If we visit the campus we will be sure and try a few of these places.
  • BreakingBadVikingBreakingBadViking Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Interesting observations. Reddit is also a pretty cool place to explore these options
  • jackharryjackharry Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I have also resided in the Brooklyn10 miles away only from my college. That is really so easy to reach my college any time. It's also easy to approach for my parents with my college teachers for any further activities.
  • basil2000basil2000 Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    edited March 18
    @Torrchase do not worry about the area surrounding Brown. It is safe. There are other parts of Providence where I do not let my children go but I let them walk around the East Side (neighborhood of Brown and RISD) unattended all the time. In fact my daughter’s school is a short walk from Brown. She and her high school friends are at the Brown campus and surrounding area often. Any further questions, do message me.