Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

"In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

1373839404143»

Replies to: "In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

• SandiecSandiec Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Lett me start again.....
    My name is Sandie....son headed to Tallahassee..super exciting ..yet..
    I know no one there....
    We live in south Florida....close to
    FAU..LYNN UNIVERSITY...Atlantic

• oak2mapleoak2maple Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    edited April 15
    @newjerseygirl98 or any other Philadelphia parent...... Can you talk a little bit about the neighborhood surrounding Penn? My son is planning to attend next fall & as a parent I am concerned because I have heard the neighborhood can be sketchy at times.
  • newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 Registered User Posts: 2,158 Senior Member
    So I went to La Salle U in 16-17, before I had my daughter. I actually went to UPenn’s campus, because her dad lives “over the bridge” from that area ( Grays Ferry) which wasn’t nice. It didn’t seem too bad, though nothing like North Philly!

Penn’s neighborhood is fine. I think students generally gravitate towards the safer areas, anyway, as that’s where the activities are.
  • W84QuakerW84Quaker Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    @oak2maple Penn is fine if you stay in campus. The kids know you don’t go past 42nd street. You don’t wander around at night alone. Yes, the surrounding area is sketchy, but the campus itself is pretty safe.
  • Fishnlines29Fishnlines29 Registered User Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    @oak2maple agree with above - Penn is fine and Drexel's campus is adjacent as well - it's not too far from downtown either and they'll figure out quickly what is safe/what isn't. Basic 'street smarts' apply in any city and I wouldn't be too concerned at Penn.
  • HappyintheGoalHappyintheGoal Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    We live very close to Johns Hopkins University’s Homewood Campus. We are also close to Loyola University and the College of Notre Dame.

But please don’t send me your lacrosse players :)

I am only sort of kidding. Around here if you find a kid passed out in your petunias — it is often a lacrosse player for some reason. I don’t know why.

For parents of kids headed to these schools, the area hospital is Union Memorial Hospital and that is very close to these campuses and their dorms.

This hospital is also the place where they handle really bad hand wounds (severed fingers etc.) so patients are often helicoptered in for those kinds of emergencies.

Pretty good cardiac unit too I think. It is definitely a solid hospital.
  • LynnskiLynnski Registered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    We're long-time residents of Northampton, MA, 10 minutes from Smith and 20-30 minutes from UMass Amherst, Amherst College, Hampshire College, and Mount Holyoke. Reach out anytime with general questions about the area or specific questions about LGBT life or concerns. And emergencies, of course!