Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

colleges for visually impaired student

daisy1daisy1 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
edited October 2011 in Parents Forum
Does anyone know how I can obtain a list of colleges that provide services to low vision students? Specifically, I am trying to find schools that are familar with addressing the needs of such students, such as teaching style and adaptive equipment. Thanks for any help you can offer. By the way, I have emailed organizations that provide services for visually impaired individuals and am waiting for responses. I thought I would also see if CC posters could offer any information and/or advice
Post edited by daisy1 on

Replies to: colleges for visually impaired student

• soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,339 Senior Member
    I'm not sure if there is a list of such colleges for the visually impaired. I think if there are schools you are interested in, then you have to inquire at their Support Services what they can offer such a student. For instance, a young woman from my community who is deaf, attended Smith (has since graduated and is in graduate school). Smith is not known as a college for the hearing impaired but they were able to arrange to work things out for their daughter.

There are lists of colleges with program for learning disabilities, however. Many colleges, however, offer support services which is different. But here is a list of colleges that have programs for learning disabilities:
    [url]http://www.college-****/learning_disabilities.htm[/url]

Basically, explore the support services of ANY college and what adaptations they can provide for a student with disabilities. I don't think you need any sort of special college itself.
  • maritemarite Registered User Posts: 21,586 Senior Member
    Agree with Soozie. If you are interested in a particular college, you should google their students with disabilities services and see what kind of support they can provide. I know that at Harvard there are some visually impaired students. Every semester, there are calls for student volunteers (who will be remunerated) to help blind students with their physics or math problems. I expect there are similar services for students in different courses, or with different kinds of disabilities.
  • carolyncarolyn Registered User Posts: 7,435 Senior Member
    I've helped several visually impaired students with college planning and would be happy to share some ideas and resources with you. I've found that there are indeed some colleges and universities that are better prepared to support visually impaired students, but knowing the right questions to ask is important. If you'd like to chat, email me as I don't come to CC regularly these days - click on my name to the left to send an email.
  • nngmmnngmm Registered User Posts: 5,708 Senior Member
    I know that there currently are two blind students at Swarthmore. I am not sure what kind of special services they receive.
  • nasphomenasphome Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi Carolyn,

I wanted to ask question about my visually handicapped son who will goto college in 2 years.
    Please send me your email address

thanks
  • starbrightstarbright Registered User Posts: 4,660 Senior Member
    I just want to add two thoughts to this discussion.

One,it would be really ideal if there was some way to actually talk to students in the same situation at a particular school. There is such a world of difference between what colleges say they provide on paper and what the actual experience is like (not that they aren't being truthful, just that some things sound great in theory and o paper, and not necessarily so in implementation).

The other thing I want to mention, is that if you are looking at large schools, it would be imperative to also get a sense of what the experience and support is like within smaller colleges or faculties of those larger schools. While access and disability services will always be available for the university students as a whole- such as by providing accommodated testing at a centralized location- the kind of resources you need for the hearing and sight impaired may require specific, daily support and resources delivered by the smaller environment of one's major or area of study. How that support is implemented at the college or major level can make a world of difference.

Last year we had a student who lost his sight suddenly between first and second year of study. Our university is very large but our college (a business school) within the university is relatively small and tight knit. The resources he received from the university as a whole were fairly limited but the bulk of support he received and really needed came from the staff and faculty (and students too) from within our business school, working closely with him and finding creative ways to adapt. I believe our university was very determined to support him as best as possible, but I honestly don't believe that the level of support he received in our smaller business college would have been as good in other faculties, such as the Arts College, because of its size and lack of strong culture.
This discussion has been closed.