Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting sick in college

Replies to: Getting sick in college

• cameliasinensiscameliasinensis Registered User Posts: 2,294 Senior Member
    The consensus seems to be that I should stop worrying about bothering people unnecessarily and go to the hospital. I'll have to look up what the health insurance covers (I'm on the College health plan), but that's probably what I'll end up doing.
  • Momof2sonsMomof2sons Registered User Posts: 502 Member
    Unless she had a Zpack (ZIthromax) is a 5 day antibiotic course
  • OaksMomOaksMom Registered User Posts: 615 Member
    Could be mono...any swollen glands in your neck? Definately need a blood test. Perhaps you're having allergies due to new environment? Outside air? Inside dorm air? Anyone running a woodburning stove in the common area of your dorm or house? ..might cause allergic symptoms. Go see a doc off campus...ask someone (an RA?) or someone who works on campus (and is likely to live in the area) for a referral. Keep us posted.
    The antibiotics were for ten days, and I did take the full prescription... I felt better for a few days at the end. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
  • bethievtbethievt Registered User Posts: 6,759 Senior Member
    I agree with sly and the other posters. You need to get a real diagnosis and start--and stay on--treatment. And get sleep and eat and drink enough water. Can one of your parents come to be with you and get this straightened out?
  • OaksMomOaksMom Registered User Posts: 615 Member
    If you used Zithromax you could get nausea and vomiting from that. My oldest can't take the stuff because it does that to her. Get another opinion Hon.
    I was on Amoxicillin. I'd rather not get my parents involved, as it would only give them more opportunities than they already have to rant endlessly about the state of the American health care system and why couldn't I just have gone to school in Sweden where none of this would ever happen (er, we've had this conversation before).
  • AtlmomAtlmom Registered User Posts: 806 Member
    yeah sounds like mono. Contact your dean of students if you have not and get him or her to be your advocate for classes. YOu can get a medical withdrawal which for most colleges just wipes the class/es off your transcript. DOn't let yourself fail or get a bad grade. Some people have a hard time adjusting to communal living. check out the parents forum top where it shows other members who live nearby and get some help....SLY_vt or others would help you out. Many colleges have funds available to help students who end up with hospital bills from such an event...copays or whatever. Just get to the right medical provider and get healthy. We will be pulling for you.
  • MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 12,995 Senior Member
    It's good that you took the antibiotic properly. Amoxicillin probably didn't cause any of your symptoms (except perhaps for a loss of appetite while you were taking it). But it doesn't seem to have helped.

I would suggest one more visit to the campus health center, and specifically asking the doctor there "Could this be mono? Can you test me for that?" If that doesn't work out, you need to go elsewhere, as soon as possible.

When a person your age has been sick for a month with what appears to be some sort of infectious disease and has not been tested for mono, something's not right.

If it is mono, that diagnosis would probably help you get all the extensions you need for class work (such as the opportunity to take an incomplete in studio art and finish your projects over the break between the fall and winter quarters, if necessary).

And if you do have to get your parents involved, remind them that even if you had gone to college in Sweden, this illness could just as easily have occurred during the breaks from school, when you would have been in NYC with them, dealing with the (admittedly sucky) U.S. health care system.
  • cangelcangel Registered User Posts: 4,127 Senior Member
    Camelia, go back to Dick's house and agitate for a Monospot. If they can't do it, get someone to drive you to DHMC. Talk up the tiredness and sore throat, as in "this is the worst sore throat".
    Do you have enlarged lymph nodes in your neck? Or tender lymph nodes in your neck? Particularly the back of your neck, the nodes back there rarely enlarge, and if you can feel them, that's a real sign of mono.

My guess, though, is that you are having typical "freshpersonitis". A whole barrage of regular cold viruses that you have never been exposed to - from all over the country - combined with not enough sleep. My D made many trips to Dick's House her first year, and lost weight, rather than putting on the freshman 15.

You can't be treated for mono, but you'll get some automatic consideration for exams and such, and you need to know.

Keep us posted.
  • teriwttteriwtt Registered User Posts: 12,525
    cameliasinensis - sounds like you have done what they told you to do. They gave you a broad spectrum antibiotic, but I still wonder if you don't have something that just requires a longer course. As mentioned earlier, when I've had sinus infections (which can include all the symptoms you've mentioned), I've had docs prescribe for 10 days and some docs feel strongly that for a sinus infection, you need to take the antibiotics for a full two weeks to a month. I understood your original post to read that on the last three-four days of the original course of antibiotics, you started to feel back to normal, then relapsed within a day of being off them. Had you had a longer course, you might have beaten this the first time around. Just a possibility.
  • vulture3vulture3 Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
    Dick's House can do better that this - try going back and push for a mono test. If that fails, there is free transit service from Hanover to Dartmouth Hitchcock Med Center and back. It runs frequently, as I recall. Find a real doctor at the medical center and go get yourself thoroughly checked out. I would think if Dick's House can't help you they would have to refer you to a doc at DHMC anyway and your student insurance should be good there, especially if you can get a referral.

(And it does sound like mono)
    Er, I don't actually know what lymph nodes are, so it's hard to tell whether there's anything wrong with them... :o

I just remembered that my boyfriend's uncle works at DHMC; he might be able to drive me there. I'll let you know what happens.
  • BayBay Registered User Posts: 12,499 Senior Member
    Whoa, your op sounded exactly like the phone call I recieved from my D today - says she's been sick the entire time at school (2+ months), falls asleep in class, had a culture taken (negative). She says she has heard that mono is going around, so I urged her to get a blood test. Mother's intuition agrees with coureur - staying up until 2:00 every night is a new experience for her ("but I get almost 8 hours of sleep!" she protests). It sounds to me like a low-grade viral/bacterial infection she cannot kick due to lack of sleep.

I'd definitely recommend a mono blood test, then go for extra sleep. Good luck to you.
  • bethievtbethievt Registered User Posts: 6,759 Senior Member
    cameliasinensis

I hope it's at least clear that we care about you. Do keep us posted. I was thinking how hard it is to go to a Dr. and keep focused and ask the right questions. Even at my age (55) and being a RN and a PhD psychologist. I forget what I was going to ask or start feeling better in the office. Writing down the history might help--this has been going on WAY too long and you need to let a Dr. know that.
This discussion has been closed.