Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Fat Envelope?

Replies to: Fat Envelope?

• sjmom2329sjmom2329 Registered User Posts: 2,930 Member
    I guess I don't understand why the certificate is such a turn-off. If someone applies to a school, they must want to go there, right? Our older son had some trouble in deciding which school to attend -- Dartmouth's likely letter and certificate gave him the impression that they really wanted him. We all thought it was nice.
  • nngmmnngmm Registered User Posts: 5,708 Senior Member
    ED/EA acceptances often come in thin envelopes. The fat one comes later at RD time.
  • nngmmnngmm Registered User Posts: 5,708 Senior Member
    sjmom,
    I've never heard anyone complaining about getting the "likely letter". But the ones who don't get it , while their friends do, feel more stressed/anxious/unloved :)...
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 26,167 Senior Member
    Congratulations SunnyFlorida! That's just great news.
  • twinmomtwinmom Registered User Posts: 2,826 Senior Member
    Senator Chuck Schumer (NY) still jokes about his parents having framed his Harvard acceptance certificate and hanging it over their T.V where it remained for years and years. I know that I saw a picture of this on the web somewhere ... just can't locate it now.
  • sewbusysewbusy Registered User Posts: 371 Member
    Dream school for S1 was a snail mail hold-out and didn't notify by computer. So when the big package hit the mailbox, I ran out and got a bunch of balloons in the college's colors, tied them to the big letter and left it in his room behind his closed door. When he got home, he knew instantly that he was having a great day.

Now they too inform online. No balloon message this year for S2, I guess, since all of his choices will use technology.
  • twinmomtwinmom Registered User Posts: 2,826 Senior Member
    Columbia sent the acceptance package Fed-Ex, and it arrived as a total suprise to my daughter the day of the night of the Ivy decisions.

Wesleyan was only snail mail too. It was the last of all the decisions for either of my kids and was a pleasant surprise for my son.
  • lspf72lspf72 Registered User Posts: 2,612 Senior Member
    Like mythmom and nngm mentioned, ED good news here came in a skinny envelope--
    two sheets total, which arrived several days after the decision was posted online.
  • moviefreak126moviefreak126 Registered User Posts: 372 Member
    When you get accepted to Duke EA, do they send out thin or fat envelopes?
  • sueinphillysueinphilly Registered User Posts: 4,207 Senior Member
    my son got a postcard from NYU inviting him to an open house for accepted students. But he hadn't received the acceptance letter. We called the school and asked if this invitation meant he was really accepted. it did. The official letter coming a week or so later was anticlimactic. The FA package came even later. It was only then that we knew he could actually be able to attend. I cried tears of joy when I saw they were giving him a 30K per year scholarship. Not like I'm getting off easy with a EFC of 12K and I'm sure I'm spending even more with stuff like books....

At least he has 2 jobs and is making his own pocket money now!
  • bethievtbethievt Registered User Posts: 6,759 Senior Member
    Reed sent the most wonderful on-line animated acceptance before the paper one, with fireworks and al kinds of fun.
  • BandWBandW Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    Ds#2 received an early write letter from one of the schools he applied to. We knew nothing about early-writes at that point but knew the date they said they were releasing acceptances. So when we saw the thin envelope from the school we were expected a rejection. It took a second reading for the news to sink in.
  • FCYTravis99FCYTravis99 Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
    Two of my three admissions offers so far have come in thin, letter-size envelopes. Go figure.

One had a big "Welcome to Bronco Country" logo on it, though, so it wasn't tough to decipher ;)
  • afterneuxngleeafterneuxnglee Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I just applied EA to Georgetown and I can't find anything on their website about online decision posting. Does anyone know from experience?
  • Joyce15Joyce15 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    My friends son found out he was accepted ED to Muhlenberg by phone. It was the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Do any other schools call their ED applicants?
This discussion has been closed.