Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Indiana University vs. Florida State

2»

Replies to: Indiana University vs. Florida State

• rrahrrah Registered User Posts: 1,662 Senior Member
    One does NOT need to travel from campus to campus to take advantage of IU's many degree programs. The overwhelming majority of schools, undergraduate degrees and majors are available at the main campus--Bloomington. Two exceptions, and these are professsional programs, are the medical school and the school of dentistry. Both of these are located in Indianapolis. Occasionally nursing students will transfer to a regional campus to finish their degree as the program in Bloomington is very competitive.

For many years the state of Indiana did not have a real community college program. (That has now changed.) The regional campuses of IU and Purdue sort of served that function in addition to providing an opportunity for Hoosiers throughout the state to earn four year degrees while living at home. In-state students may choose to begin their education at a regional campus and transfer to Bloomington. Others will complete their entire degree at the regional campus. Some will take summer classes at a regional campus while living at home and working. The regional campuses duplicate some of the programs at the Bloomington campus, but provide a more affordable option for many. I'm fairly certain the same is true of Purdue's regional campuses.
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,980 Senior Member
    As to fundrasing--IU is ahead of FSU by a good margin where it counts=$$$$ raised.

Top institutions in total support 2005-06
    Stanford University $911,163,132
    Harvard University $594,941,000
    Yale University $433,461,932
    University of Pennsylvania $409,494,598
    Cornell University $406,228,837
    University of Southern California $405,745,421
    Johns Hopkins University $377,336,025
    Columbia University $377,276,204
    Duke University $332,034,301
    University of Wisconsin at Madison $325,938,048
    University of California at Los Angeles $319,580,552
    University of Washington $316,251,912
    New York University $279,918,813
    University of Minnesota $266,991,894
    Northwestern University $253,401,792
    University of Michigan $251,476,551
    Indiana University $247,520,018
    University of California at Berkeley $245,966,241
    University of Chicago $237,117,399
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill $236,579,182
  • parent2nolesparent2noles Registered User Posts: 7,961 Senior Member
    IU appears to be somewhat older than FSU. That would certainly explain the funding difference. Looks like a fine school. Perhaps Indiana does a better job funding universities than Florida. We're trying to fix that down here...

Still, I have to go with my alma mater. :)

Go 'Noles!
  • rrahrrah Registered User Posts: 1,662 Senior Member
    Unfortunately I doubt Indiana does a better job of funding it's universities. We might be making some progess though.

Maybe this is why the funding is higher, "According to the 2006 Council of Alumni Association Executives, IU ranks third among U.S. colleges and universities in the total number of living graduates, and its alumni association is the eighth largest with more than 80,000 members." I think there are over 1/2 million living graduates.

I would always hope someone thought enough of one's alma mater to support it! I know that's one reason I think IU is great. : )
  • SoCal18SoCal18 Registered User Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    The other majors I'm considering are communications and sports management. But I figured a business degree is more valuable, and I can always minor in sports management or communications.
  • parent2nolesparent2noles Registered User Posts: 7,961 Senior Member
    OK, not to start this up again between us passionate alumni :) but FSU has an excellent College of Communication ( Admissions ) and obviously a world-class athletic program. I should note that admission to the College of Communication is quite competitive, and is one of FSU's "Limited Access Programs". Limited access means there are far more students who want in that there are seats available, thus ramping up strong competition for a seat.

FSU's College of Business is also excellent overall, with some nationally ranked programs ( FSU Highlights ).

Good luck!

P.S. -
    Wouldn't you really rather be known as a mighty "Seminole" than a "Hoosier"? ( with apologies to all the fine folks at IU!) lol :) Heck, pretty soon half of Indiana will tire of that crisp winter weather and be down here in Florida, so I have to mind my manners...
  • tsdadtsdad Registered User Posts: 4,035 Senior Member
    A number of years ago my son was accepted to the film school at Florida State, which is arguably the second best school of its type in the East. Only NYU is better. We had previously visited the campus, and we went again for a required interview for the semi-finalists for admission.

Even if my son hadn't been accepted to USC he probably wouldn't have gone to FSU because of his negative reaction to the interviews. I personally didn't like the look of the campus although the film school was marvelous, set in underneath the the football stadium, with great facilities. Perhaps it was the gray, rainy day, but the campus looked like an overgrown teacher's college. We did not care for Tallahassee, and as mentioned above it is hard, and expensive, to get in out of.

In terms of "feel," FSU couldn't compare to VT, UVA, UCLA, and UNC, other schools my son applied to.

However, these things are very personal. The people seemed nice, and I got a kick out of the circus set-up.
  • SoCal18SoCal18 Registered User Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    Thanks for the information parent2noles. I really like FSU, and I know I would have an amazing experience there, but I know that I won't be attending. Over these last months, I have hyped myself up for Indiana, and I know for sure, I wouldn't go to FSU over IU.

Thanks again....all of your posts on how great FSU is, makes my acceptance feel even better.
This discussion has been closed.