right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Second Semester, Freshman Year

Replies to: Second Semester, Freshman Year

• massmommassmom 187 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 187 Junior Member
    S finally settled on his second semester schedule on Monday. Somewhat boxed himself in with his requirement of no Friday classes and no classes before 9 am. Taking Economics, Enviro. Studies, Roman Civilization and Ethics. With 12 credits from AP History, has taken all his lower level major requirements already and can't get into the upper level courses until next semester. Sounds like a lot more fun that what I took freshman year. At least two out of the four course are small.
    · Reply · Share
  • Dad'o'2Dad'o'2 569 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 585 Member
    WashDad--Pretty much the same "boy schedule" planning with Son'o'Dad'o'2, except that he had to submit a tentative plan for the whole four years to declare his major.

Like WashSon, he has a lot of AP credit, so he laid out a 4-year schedule to "do it all." His plan is to get a dual major Electrial/Computer Engineering BS degree and an EE masters degree via the BS/MS program. Sounds a little ambitious to me, but he'll have to figure out what he can handle. I think the Comp Eng major is closer to EE than Comp Sci, so the additional requirements are not as bad.

His biggest worry was finding one easy humanities/social science course to finish out his H&S credits beyond the required core sequence and his AP History/English credits. I expect that "The Cultural History of Nuclear Technology" has too many papers for his taste. Sadly, he takes after his dad. At least he has made some "normal" friends up there! :)
    What do you want to wager on the possibility that WashDadJrs future career will benefit at least as much from the Intro to Golf as from the arcane comp sci and physics.....

Ha! He has a non-credit phys ed requirement. I'll have to suggest that!
    · Reply · Share
  • DefyingGravity04DefyingGravity04 442 replies50 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 492 Member
    Since I was the dead last group on all of campus to register ( it goes by credit hours coming in, and though I took APs I did not get the credit in college for them) I did not get alot of the classes I wanted. I am taking Piano 1, Psycholinguistics, Musical Theater Workshop, English 1101, Spanish 1102, and I am on the wailist for Child and Adolescent Development and Intro to Sociology. Trying to stay as far away from Math and Science as possible, unlike your son, Washdad. lol
    · Reply · Share
  • AlumotherAlumother 6109 replies130 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,239 Senior Member
    3Ks I have always thought my terrible hand-eye coordination has prevented me from becoming CEO - no golf, no tennis.

Or else it's how hard I would have to work...
    · Reply · Share
  • saxsax 5272 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,428 Senior Member
    Son double majoring in EE and Physics (BEE and BS). When he went to EE dept. they told him he did not have to take a few of what are usually required courses because
    they felt he already got that in Physics. So there were less requirements than even the website stated. So washdadjr may want to check it out in person.
    · Reply · Share
  • WashDadWashDad 2614 replies81 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,695 Senior Member
    Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions. WDjr has a tough schedule. Since he is ahead of other freshman, I suggested that he drop a class at the end of two weeks if it was looking scary. The 5-credit Physics class is the big dog in this schedule. Since he's taking accounting on my advice ("engineers who don't know a little about accounting, finance, and marketing get taken advantage of") it might be the drop candidate. The "Atom America" class fulfills a history elective requirement.

It turns out that his school owns their own very nice 18-hole golf course. The class is free, and as a student he can golf for $4 a round. I've told him that America is run by people who play golf and that it is a really easy, cheap way to learn a valuable job skill.
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 13852 replies62 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,914 Senior Member
    Registration by computer has its pros and cons- last year son scared us with his dropping and adding up to the "last minute"- we got the tuition bill before classes started for less than a full load (we got the whole table of fees and were able to pay for full time without late fees)- upset parents talked to him about how we expected him to take more than 12 credits, certainly not less; he did come through with plenty, that philosophy 101 course for freshmen only never will get taken...
    · Reply · Share
  • kelsmomkelsmom 15407 replies98 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15,505 Senior Member
    D called me a couple weeks ago to go over courses for winter term. She is hoping to transfer next year, so choosing classes is important ... she has to find classes that will be sure to transfer. In addition, the winter term is very short, so she wanted to avoid certain classes during that time. For example, she'd prefer to take Spanish during the longer spring term, when there is more time to practice speaking. Fortunately, she has no problem with taking 8 am classes, so she was able to get into classes/profs she wanted. They only take 2 classes winter term, so she will only have Sociology & Comparative World Governments. She is disappointed with the prereq's necessary in order to take classes she wants. The school she hopes to attend is more flexible in allowing students to take courses without a lot of prereq's. She will survive, though, if she ends up staying where she is. There is no "perfect," as we all know!
    · Reply · Share
  • WashDadWashDad 2614 replies81 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,695 Senior Member
    I just spoke to WashDadJr on the phone. His Accounting class was canceled, so he has to sign up for "Armor Making" instead. I swear I'm going back to college...
    · Reply · Share
  • Dad'o'2Dad'o'2 569 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 585 Member
    Armor Making ???!!!!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • cangelcangel 4054 replies73 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,127 Senior Member
    Now that's not a "boy" class, though. I just watched a Modern Marvels segment on "Metals" (BTW, how are metals and corn "modern marvels", we don't get it?!) - anyway, there were several scenes of blacksmithing and metalworking at a university, and several of the smiths were - women! Good for the biceps
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 31930 replies155 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 32,085 Senior Member
    LOL - Armormaking! My younger son would love it.

I agree with the accounting - I'm sure I'd be better off with it.
    · Reply · Share
    I guess "Armor Making" is the answer to the question, "what do you offer in the fine arts at technical college that is 75% male?"
    · Reply · Share
  • entomomentomom 22547 replies1111 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23,658 Senior Member
    My D is in the midst of registering right now. I thought she was just having the usual difficulty in choosing classes for next semester because so many sounded interesting, then I caught on to the fact that she's trying to make headway in several disparate majors plus premed classes all at once: architecture, neurobiology & Spanish to start with and now creative writing too since she's gotten positive feedback in her freshman seminar class.

Since she didn't take any math or science first semester for the first time ever, her spring schedule right now looks like this: org chem, diff eq, Spanish, neuroscience, art history or creative writing and a one unit 'underwater basket weaving' course (my jargon for armor making type classes ;)).
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38240 replies463 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 38,703 Senior Member
    WashDad, I'm impressed with the course offerings at your son's school! Those classes sound totally cool and interesting enough for young guys (and gals, too) to stay awake during class!

(I believe Reed College at one point actually had a class in underwater basketweaving.)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity