Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

California State University Northridge

2»

Replies to: California State University Northridge

• blucrooblucroo Registered User Posts: 829 Member
    OP: We live in between CSULB and CSUF. Both are a better choice than Northridge for any type of campus life and I would definitely say Long Beach is the most "college-like" of the 3. LB is a nice area, close to the beach with a lot more young people around. It was ranked one of the "best values" in USNWR a few years back. It is very much like a big university, not quite at the UC level, but clearly up there! There are some excellent undergrad and grad programs, great sport teams, EC's etc. Much less a party school than SDSU, tho having said that, all colleges are party schools. If she really wants a campus like environment, Chico or Humbult (way up north) are non-communter campuses. Good luck.
  • HSisOverratedHSisOverrated Registered User Posts: 392 Member
    SDSU has a ~50% acceptance rate but might be a tad harder to get into if you're out of state.

I live RIGHT NEXT to CS San Marcos, and I'll tell you it definitely isn't a good program if you are aiming for liberal studies. They have an ok teaching program, but it's mostly inhabited by part-timers.

I definitely would not recommend enrollment if you are coming from the East coast, especially when there are a billion different better alternatives.

SDSU is a MAJOR party school. It puts the party in party, seriously. UCSB is another big party school, but has a solid liberal studies program.

CSLB is nice, but a really really crummy area. I suggest you consider some of the UC schools, namely UC Santa Cruz and UC Davis.

It would be a lot easier to recommend if we new stats...but...
  • silentsnowbunnysilentsnowbunny Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Can i get some advice too??

Hi I am a junior and I am very interested in the tv cinematic arts program @ northridge, plus it's so much CHEAPER than all the other schools out there and it seems like it is a pretty decent program. But I don't know if I should go because I reside in MD and my GPA is 3.6 and weighted 4.1.
    I don't really want to direct films or write them but I want to work on a T.V crew on a show or work on a movie set or something, or do something in visual effects, or stuff that helps the creative director achieve his vision. Or i might want to do the buisnesss side of things like market films or work in tv programming/ tv management.

ANY advice on what I should do? I just want a school that has good internships or programs to help me get in the door and secure me a job. ANY other programs out there as CHEAP as northridge?

I don't really want to go that far for school, but thats where the internships are; i have looked @ schools like ithaca, syracuse, temple but they all cost way too much, I am low income but even with financial aid i don't wanna pay that much!!!

My other option in state is university maryland baltimore (UMBC), they have media studies, but i don't know if it'll get me any where.

ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!!!
This discussion has been closed.