Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How Many of You Have Seniors Choosing to go to Grad School Instead of the Job Market?

2»

Replies to: How Many of You Have Seniors Choosing to go to Grad School Instead of the Job Market?

• violinistsviolinists - Posts: 85 New Member
    I have two. One immediately started grad school and is getting his MSME in one year. He already has a high paying job starting in July 2008. One benefit is $5500/year towards further study and it is near several universities.

Son two is receiving a BA Liberal Arts this year. He is taking a year off before going to law school. He also has a job as a law clerk with the DOJ at a shocking salary and very interesting job description, for the following year.

Both jobs are great locations.

Parents don't have to cosign Plus loans for grad school.

There are lots of choices and options. After son borrowed 57K for Master's, I discovered NIH and Army Corps of Engineers would have paid for grad school, but require you work for them to repay the loans. The school he attended had nothing to aid graduate school costs, other than loans.
  • curiousercuriouser Registered User Posts: 1,362 Senior Member
    D, a biology major, decided against med school but has been accepted for a 3 year Doctoral degree in Physical Therapy where she also plans to complete a Phd. She sees herself going off to help poor children somewhere in the world and ultimately teaching at a university level.

In the sciences, as another poster pointed out, a terminal degree is a must.
    Unfortunately, the DPT degree is not "funded" and she will be taking out loans of her own for this one.
  • anotherNJmomanotherNJmom Registered User Posts: 345 Member
    But with the education she already has, she should have no problem to find a job (even a part time job) to support herself?
  • shennieshennie Registered User Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    My son is also applying to PhD programs. He is a biology major and wants to do marine science. He has wanted to do marine science since he was in middle school. We always told him that if that was his goal, grad school was his best route. He contemplated taking a couple of years off but realized if he did that he might not go back. So he is busy applying to schools. His older brother is currently working towards his Masters of Music in cello performance.
  • Maize&BlueMaize&Blue Registered User Posts: 636 Member
    Senior D intends to go directly to a doctoral program in atmospheric chemistry. I'm on the sidelines for this round with my fingers crossed. I would prefer she work for a year or two, but she feels the stipend+fellowship+TAship+waived tuition+medical ins. would be just about the same as a starting salary with a chem BA and that she would be wasting that time. She's also been told that she "won't have a life" for the next 5 or so years, so she's anxious to get started to get to the research that she finds so interesting. Her older brother, who went straight to law school, now wishes he had taken a break. He was very tired of school after 7 years.
  • Just_A_MomJust_A_Mom Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    I can see that both paths can have happy endings. I only hope D does not get too burnt out. She has been in a rather rigorous program for the last 3.5 years and had many nights with very little sleep and erratic meals--and is now applying to several elite grad schools which means, if she makes it in, that life will not get any easier.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 32,047 Senior Member
    Only the first couple of years of grad school are much like school. After that it's mostly lab work and writing papers and grants just like real scientists. I don't think a break is very helpful.
  • ticklemepinkticklemepink Registered User Posts: 2,764 Senior Member
    Huh...this is so CC....this thread is filled with kids looking for a PhD!

I'm too afraid of the real world... and I'd rather stay in school and do research :) In other words, I'm going for my PhD in History because I know that after 3 museum/research internships and heavy soul-searching (along with lots and lots of discussions with my professors and co-workers), that this is the right track for me. When my mother found out how long it'd take me to take my PhD (about 8 years), she wondered when would I be able to live a comfortable live again LOL I'm not a fancy gal (though I can be a shopaholic) but I can live in poverty just fine :) I'm really excited!
  • archermomarchermom Registered User Posts: 493 Member
    Maize&Blue,
    D1 is also interested in pursuing PhD, but in organic chem. She was submitting two applications today. ;)
  • originaloogoriginaloog Registered User Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Our son threw a curve ball a few months ago in deciding to go on to grad school after he graduates in May. He is a compsci major too, is not interested in going the PhD route and entering a field where grad school finaid is usually lacking unfortunately.
  • violinistsviolinists - Posts: 85 New Member
    Originaloog, my son in grad school informed me this morning that all his friends who immediately went to work last year are sorry. College is a lot more fun!
  • jessiehljessiehl Registered User Posts: 3,328 Senior Member
    Originaloog, my son in grad school informed me this morning that all his friends who immediately went to work last year are sorry. College is a lot more fun!

I disagree with your son's friends (I graduated last year and went straight to work). I enjoyed college, but work is a couple of orders of magnitude less stressful! And I have more free time, even though it is less flexible time.

Of course, given that I've pretty much gone straight from full-time work into full-time work/part-time grad school (the worst of both worlds?), what do I know? ;)
This discussion has been closed.