right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

How Many of You Have Seniors Choosing to go to Grad School Instead of the Job Market?

2»

Replies to: How Many of You Have Seniors Choosing to go to Grad School Instead of the Job Market?

• Just_A_MomJust_A_Mom 120 replies21 threads Junior Member
    I can see that both paths can have happy endings. I only hope D does not get too burnt out. She has been in a rather rigorous program for the last 3.5 years and had many nights with very little sleep and erratic meals--and is now applying to several elite grad schools which means, if she makes it in, that life will not get any easier.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 33180 replies161 threads Senior Member
    Only the first couple of years of grad school are much like school. After that it's mostly lab work and writing papers and grants just like real scientists. I don't think a break is very helpful.
    · Reply · Share
  • ticklemepinkticklemepink 2720 replies44 threads Senior Member
    Huh...this is so CC....this thread is filled with kids looking for a PhD!

I'm too afraid of the real world... and I'd rather stay in school and do research :) In other words, I'm going for my PhD in History because I know that after 3 museum/research internships and heavy soul-searching (along with lots and lots of discussions with my professors and co-workers), that this is the right track for me. When my mother found out how long it'd take me to take my PhD (about 8 years), she wondered when would I be able to live a comfortable live again LOL I'm not a fancy gal (though I can be a shopaholic) but I can live in poverty just fine :) I'm really excited!
    · Reply · Share
  • archermomarchermom 491 replies2 threads Member
    Maize&Blue,
    D1 is also interested in pursuing PhD, but in organic chem. She was submitting two applications today. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • originaloogoriginaloog 2631 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Our son threw a curve ball a few months ago in deciding to go on to grad school after he graduates in May. He is a compsci major too, is not interested in going the PhD route and entering a field where grad school finaid is usually lacking unfortunately.
    · Reply · Share
  • violinistsviolinists - 85 replies0 threads New Member
    Originaloog, my son in grad school informed me this morning that all his friends who immediately went to work last year are sorry. College is a lot more fun!
    · Reply · Share
  • jessiehljessiehl 3296 replies32 threads Senior Member
    Originaloog, my son in grad school informed me this morning that all his friends who immediately went to work last year are sorry. College is a lot more fun!

I disagree with your son's friends (I graduated last year and went straight to work). I enjoyed college, but work is a couple of orders of magnitude less stressful! And I have more free time, even though it is less flexible time.

Of course, given that I've pretty much gone straight from full-time work into full-time work/part-time grad school (the worst of both worlds?), what do I know? ;)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity