right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Did I let my D down?

124»

Replies to: Did I let my D down?

• ezduzzitezduzzit 105 replies17 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    DadBG, you are so right. She has gone through this whole process without getting sucked into the crap. I've been amazed at every turn in the road. Best of luck on the Dartmouth decision!

I think the weirdest thing about the whole process is the fact that at the end of it the kids will actually GO! I'll cross that bridge when I get to it...

ez
    · Reply · Share
  • jasmomjasmom 1133 replies37 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'm often amazed at how often we fall into thinking about environments as complex as colleges as if they can be hierarchically arranged, from worst to best. I know, I know, we all follow the ratings... I like to think that the acceptances, scholarships, etc. come from ours sons/daughters wisely selecting environments that are wonderful fits, and that the admissions' personnel are wise enough and experienced enough to recognize and appreciate what fine additions our sons/daughters will make to their campus. Just enjoy this wonderful success!
    · Reply · Share
  • voronwevoronwe 432 replies15 threadsRegistered User Member
    Middlebury, Bowdoin, Davidson, Vanderbilt, Georgetown and Northwestern. Those are popular fallbacks for Williams and Dartmouth.
    These are also a number of people's first choices. The "ranking" mentality" that assumes that in every case and in every department one school well within similar ranges of SATs (since any score is actually a range of 100 points) is "better" than another baffles me. And people are always shocked - shocked! - when someone turns down Princeton or Brown for Bowdoin, or Dartmouth or Williams for Georgetown (actual cases I know of).
    · Reply · Share
  • originaloogoriginaloog 2631 replies14 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Don't fret, Colgate, Hamilton and Rochester are wonderful colleges and your daughter should be honored and happy to be able to choose among them. Our son's friend attends Colgate and absolutely loves it there.
    · Reply · Share
  • DadofB&GDadofB&G 228 replies11 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    True, but in the practical application (no pun intended)of the admissions game, it's hard - at least for me - not to get sucked into that vortex of ranking, prestige, alumni connections, etc. that masquerade as "what's right for my kid."
    · Reply · Share
  • speckledeggspeckledegg 329 replies37 threadsRegistered User Member
    DadofB&G, how did it go?
    · Reply · Share
  • DadofB&GDadofB&G 228 replies11 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Just back from the first night of D's last and S's first HS musical. D had a pretty good role and S was waaaaay in the back, but they both had a good time.

D was waitlisted at Dartmouth. 5 acceptances and 2 waitlists. Her reaction was at first subdued and then..."ho hum, time to move on; let's schedule visits to Colgate, Hamilton and U of R"

We're all good here.
    · Reply · Share
  • maritemarite 21343 replies243 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I see her being very happy at Colgate.
    · Reply · Share
  • momrathmomrath 5966 replies39 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    DadofB&G, In retrospect, after having been at Williams I can better understand why my son was so keen on Hamilton. There are a lot of similarities -- size, culture, physical environment, outdoorsy atmosphere -- all within a warm and supportive community. As I said, I really don't remember why he eliminated Colgate early on (maybe it was the frats) but comparison aside, he really liked Hamilton's ambience as well as their focus on the arts.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity