Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

My Dear Friends, Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

167891012»

Replies to: My Dear Friends, Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• berurahberurah - Posts: 4,560 Senior Member
    over30---I have have motion sickness from all of the ups and downs! *lol* Thanks so much for the congrats! ~b.
  • ivyqueenivyqueen Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    Yes and no, Berurah. It may well be that accepted students at elite schools like Duke have similar stats to those at HYPS (though it may also be that CC posters are not representative), but HYPS are objectively harder to get into because they have approximately twice as many applicants for every slot.

The admission rates for the Class of 2009 are as follows:

Harvard: 9.1% of applicants
    Yale: 9.7%
    Princeton: 10.9%
    Stanford: Just under 12%
    Duke: Just under 22%

And certainly Duke, like most schools, has its share of legacy admissions: http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/01/22/400fd16bb4beb.
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    " honestly don't think they are any "harder" to get into than some of the other elite schools. "

They are harder to get into because they get more applicants per space than do the other colleges and because their yield is higher than is most other colleges'. As a result, the percentage of students who are accepted is less than is the case at most other colleges. They also don't have to take as many students from the wait list.

"The only thing that makes them a bit harder to get into is the fact that those schools have to bow to more legacies, donors, etc.,"

I honestly don't think that's the case.

"so of course, a child like mine would find it nearly impossible to gain acceptance."

Your son is outstanding. Unfortunately, when it comes to HPYS, even most outstanding applicants find it very difficult to gain acceptances.
    ivyqueen,

Despite all of the stats and numbers, which I appreciate your providing, my opinion of HYPS has changed completely as a result of our experiences and the information provided on this forum and others. What I was trying to get across was that those schools, like all others, are not so numbers driven that they stand worlds above any other elite schools~each school seeks out students that fit whatever community they are trying to form.

~berurah
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    "What I was trying to get across was that those schools, like all others, are not so numbers driven that they stand worlds above any other elite schools"

I agree. While the average stats at places like HPYS probably are among the highest stats in the country, what makes HPYS exceptional is the well roundedness of its student body.

The diversity is deep and wide -- and includes students from all over the world and all over the US with a variety of documented passions in various ECs and academic interests, including interests that are very obscure.

To produce such a class, students with higher stats, but more ordinary extraordinary achievements or talents (sounds like an oxymoron, but I hope you can see what I mean) will be passed over for students who may have lower stats, but have rarer talents, interests or backgrounds.
    yep, NSM you are right, as you often are...and I guess what someone (sorry, I can't remember offhand who) said a long time ago on another thread was true...Yale just didn't need "another Ebola lovin' kid from the midwest"!! *lol* But oh yeah, all's well that ends well!!!!

~b.
  • irishforeveririshforever Registered User Posts: 817 Member
    Congratulations to you and your son!! I have followed your story (lurking on cc during this whole process!) and have felt such a kinship!! Our s was as nervous as yours on Wed. night while waiting to push the Decision letter button for Duke (a school he has loved forever!!) after being deferred from his SCEA school. We were all shaking!! The "Congratulations" was the only word that jumped off the page for us, and we never knew such joy and relief for a kid who has worked so hard to do well! The ups and downs of the admissions process have become so ridiculous--when it turns out well, as you pray it will, you know that you have been blessed!! Maybe we'll run into you at Duke in August--we'll look for Kansas plates!!
    irishforever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I am just thrilled beyond words for your amazingly dedicated and big-dreaming son!! I am still reliving the moment my son pressed that button, and even now, four days later, I still cannot quite process it and what it truly means. What a strange and fateful thing...our sons could well become acquainted next year after our separate families have encouraged these two special boys from different areas over so many years! I'd love to meet up with you in Durham! What state's plates should I be looking for???

My very best to your son--what a fabulous result for a job very, very well done! Our most heartfelt congrats to you ALL!!!

love, ~berurah
    Hey all,

I thought I'd post a small update, especially as some of you may be wondering about the color status of our basketball pole! *lol* As you may remember, several years ago, we decided to paint our basketball pole Duke blue with glosssy white lettering spelling out, "Duke #1". In this small town consisting of KU basketball fans, this was a risky thing to do, and sure enough, a short time later, we found my son's car covered with Hershey's chocolate syrup and popcorn *sigh*. But, we stuck to our guns and kept the pole painted in support of his dream school.

About 15 minutes before the decisions were to be posted, my son went outside with two cans of spray paint in order to paint over the Duke pole as a way for him to brace emotionally for the blow which he felt certain was coming. Well...you know how the decision turned out! :)

The pole did not remain orange for long! About 30 minutes after we viewed the acceptance letter, my husband went out and restored the post to its rightful Duke blue! And my 14-year-old daughter went out with the glossy white paint to finish the job... Only this time, it didn't say "Duke #1". Instead, she painted the words, "Duke '09". Outside of a few wayward drips from the job completed in joyful haste, it looks pretty good! *lol*

On Friday, my son received the MOST delightful phone call from the Duke regional rep. for our area. She gave him contact information in case he had any questions, and she enthusiastically praised a very special essay he wrote chronicling how he came to be interested in the areas of epidemiology and infectious diseases at the age of 8. She also made mention of a very, very special letter of rec. that he had submitted (that was non-h.s. related). He has felt very wanted by Duke, and the school has, so far, shown astounding personal attention. We are VERY impressed!

He received the acceptance in the mail on Saturday. It was nice to get it! The folder gave me chills...it had this gold, sunburst-like sticker on it that had my son's name printed on it: _________________, Class of 2009. Oh my, CAN IT REALLY BE TRUE?!

Anyway, thanks for your continued interest and support. Sharing this experience with you has made it all the more special :).

love, ~berurah
  • texastaximomtexastaximom Registered User Posts: 1,080 Senior Member
    "In this small town consisting of KU basketball fans, this was a risky thing to do,"

Remind me to send you a Bucknell tee shirt. :p
    OMG texastaximom!!!!

My 11-year-old would give ANYTHING for a Bucknell shirt! He's razzed EVERYONE at his school SO badly about the KU loss! :) He'd get THE BIGGEST kick out of wearing that!!!! ~berurah
This discussion has been closed.