Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Schools known for good merit aid

Replies to: Schools known for good merit aid

• LucieTheLakieLucieTheLakie Registered User Posts: 3,843 Senior Member
    Miami is private, so in or out of state isn't really relevant the way it is for out-of-state publics.

In general, I highly recommend going directly to the website of any university your child is interested in and look at what they offer in the way of merit money.

Just Google "[school name] merit scholarships" - this is what came up for Miami:
    http://admissions.miami.edu/undergraduate/financial-aid/scholarships/new-freshmen-or-first-year-students/index.html
  • 3monkeys3monkeys Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    Citivas - what were his stats? Thanks!
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 15,086 Senior Member
    Miami is private, so in or out of state isn't really relevant the way it is for out-of-state publics.

It does matter. Florida residents are eligible for a resident's grant, currently $3300 per year, plus BF kids can use that (this year for those at the top level it was $6500 plus $600 for books, but it will drop again next year). There are also a lot of local scholarships that can only be used at an instate school.

It all adds up.
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 Registered User Posts: 1,742 Senior Member
    Some Florida privates will accept the Florida residents grants and BF.
  • glidoglido Registered User Posts: 5,785 Senior Member
    Arizona State University offered DD a very generous merit aid package.
  • LucieTheLakieLucieTheLakie Registered User Posts: 3,843 Senior Member
    Thanks for the correction, @twoinanddone, about Miami. I was actually trying to address a question from an out-of-state parent (@nymother1996).
    Does University of Arizona give merit aid scholarships? Or University of Miami? My daughter is interested in these schools, she will be an out of state student.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 15,086 Senior Member
    Right, but everyone thinks "Oh, a school is private so everyone is treated the same as far as cost goes" and that often isn't true if there are instate grants or scholarships. This might mean there is more school money to give to OOS students. It might not

there are a few (major) scholarships in the western region and while one (Daniels)can be used at any school, the scholarship goes a lot farther at a school in the region, public or private.
  • Garden MomGarden Mom Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Our son has applied and been accepted at UA Huntsville. Based on his ACT scores, he qualifies for full tuition. Honestly, UAH came into our radar because of their merit scholarship. While that doesn't include room and board, it's worth almost $82,000 as an out of state student. Also, they have a simple application for additional scholarships but he won't know about those until spring.

Southern IL Univ Carbondale is also offering about $24,000 over 4 years in merit but more importantly, they've invited him to compete for their top scholarships that include a full ride. We'll see how that works out. They also have done away with OOS fees so all tuition is now in state rates - that $6000 per year brings the in state rate down to $3000 per year. There's a general scholarship application that matches the student to additional scholarships that they may qualify for but then each scholarship has to be applied for separately.

We have some savings but honestly, scholarships are super important to making it all come together for us and he definitely wants to stay in the southeast. IL is an option only because he has an uncle and grandfather within a couple of hours.
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,105 Senior Member
    Is there a recent or updated list of meets full needs schools? TIA
  • ambkeeganambkeegan Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    How much was he offered at Case Western? My son has a 4.0 on a 4.0 HOW all SO classes and 35/ACT
  • onlygirlsmomonlygirlsmom Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Adrian College (Michigan) offers great merit aid - my d was offered $20k/yr based on her ACT (33) and another $6k/yr if she shows up for scholarship day.
  • UIUC9395UIUC9395 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited December 2017
    ambkeegan, our son was offered I think $22,000 at CWRU with a 33 and a 3.9
  • Sam-I-AmSam-I-Am Registered User Posts: 548 Member
    @UIUC9395, congrats on your son's award from Case Western! I know someone who received a similar award with like stats, so I think CWRU is generous with the merit. Just to confirm, you believe your son's award was strictly merit?