Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Schools known for good merit aid

Replies to: Schools known for good merit aid

• enginmom4enginmom4 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    @sunnryz low admission rate schools are notorious for not giving great aid. Higher admission rate schools give better aid.

For engineering (and with rolling admissions) you could probably still contact and get $$ from Arizona State, Iowa State, University of New Mexico, and University of Alabama.
  • whidbeyite2002whidbeyite2002 Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    My daughter received a $25,000/yr renewable Achievement Scholarship from Whitman College (COA about $59,000, I think). Whitman offers a number of merit scholarships, including for performance.
  • txstellatxstella Registered User Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    @sunnryz Thanks for sharing this info. Did the NPCs at Iowa and Delaware match the award? Or were the awards more or less?
  • sunnryzsunnryz Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    @txstella , to be honest we didn't do the NPC for either of those schools because they were kind of low on her list (ironic since she ended up choosing UD). However, both Iowa and Delaware clearly listed the merit aid available on their website and what you needed to be awarded it. We did to the NPC for BU and Purdue, which is why we were so surprised when we ended up being full pay at both schools.
  • txstellatxstella Registered User Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    @sunnryz I’ve run NPCs that show a surprising amount of merit aid for my DS20 and it makes me suspicious. Iowa and UD, though, seem transparent. UD looks like a great school, and I really hope your D enjoys her time there. UD has a great location, too, IMO.
  • sunnryzsunnryz Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    @txstella Thank you. If you would have asked me a year ago if I thought that's where she'd end up I would have said you were crazy. I'm still freaking out about how far away it is. But between their generous merit, direct admission to biomedical engineering (not guaranteed at other schools), a well regarded honors college, and a synchronized ice skating team, it ended up being the best fit. :)
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,417 Senior Member
    @sunnryz - Purdue is very stingy with merit money, especially for OOS students. It has changed a lot in the last few years. One of my neighbors had two kids graduate from Purdue 6 - 8 years ago and both got very generous merit. My D with much, much higher stats got nothing. I'm glad that it worked out for your D at UDE
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 4,474 Senior Member
    @FlyAwayTime In regards to Vandy, the 13% who get merit scholarships include many many kids who just get the $5000/year NMF scholarship. Getting more merit than that at Vandy is fiercely competitive and one needs to apply for one of their named scholarships. You can find that info on their financial aid website. We found this year that kids who got that aid were many times URMs and had close to perfect scores on multiple tests (some sent ACT and SAT as well and SAT2s and AP scores). They also seem to have very interesting stories and tons of leadership beyond their school.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 4,541 Senior Member
    edited May 14
    @Eagle79 Boston College no longer has an honors program. They do still have the Gabelli Scholars. 15 full tuition awards. You get to choose your dorm.

As you probably know, it’s not really classified as a merit award.

It’s more like the Jefferson scholarships, though a lot fewer. It requires early acceptance, an invitation and a competitive process including in person interviews. This is isn’t really a merit award as such.

My d22 was offered an honors track within her science. That is invitation only and requires an app as well. No separate dorms or events. You can be offered a spot on the school’s academic journal to write articles. I think easier access to registration.

BC also offers guarantee 4 years of housing to nursing students, perhaps some athletes but I know it’s not all (maybe the holy trinity. Football hoops and men’s ice hockey ?) and top 10 percent or so of the admissions pool.

That’s about it for now. The rest is meets full need finaid.
  • gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 264 Junior Member
    @sunnryz You pretty much summed it right up when you said being from IL. When you start with a state flagship that will give high stats kids next to nothing it really makes you have to go on the hunt for merit. There is a serious brain drain going on in IL with kids going to other states and who knows if they will ever come back. My D19 didn't even bother to apply to IL.

• cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,379 Senior Member
    It’s a shame that UIUC has become the most expensive state school for its own residents. I remember a time, not much longer than 20 years ago when it was a very good deal for state residents. I have a lot of friends in IL and that’s where most of the kids went.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 12,600 Senior Member
    @sunnryz, it's very tough to get merit from BU. They'd use merit to entice kids away from Ivies/equivalents or to fill institutional goals (like URM).
    @cptofthehouse, UIUC is still a good deal, IMO, for IL families who can afford to spend $110K-$145K total and a kid who knows for sure what he/she wants to major in (and gets in to their major).
    All IL publics have to give credit for AP tests of 3 or better these days, so graduating in 3 years for a high-achieving kid isn't too difficult so long as they
    1. Are dead set on their major.
    2. Get in to their major.
    3. Don't switch majors.
    Seems these days that at LACs outside the very top tier and in the Northeast (who generally don't give merit money or it is extremely difficult to get), a top 5-10 percentile kid will generally get enough merit money to bring COA down to $45-25K/year, or enough to make a LAC competitive with in-state costs.
  • gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 264 Junior Member
    @PurpleTitan It just seems to me that there are plenty of state flagship schools in other states where if you are in-state you can spend anywhere from $45-$80K for the total. Sometimes even less than the $45K.