Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Suggestions for son...

2»

Replies to: Suggestions for son...

• my-3-sonsmy-3-sons Registered User Posts: 2,943 Senior Member
    Don't be put off by the UM rich kid rap. There are many Prada types, but also many plain old regular kids. My S would rather shop in a thrift store than A&F and he loves and has thrived at UM. Your S would be in the ballpark for a 3/4 tuition scholarship. I suggest you investigate the possibility and visit, UM is a great school. Good luck.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,933 Senior Member
    Most of the selective private colleges have close to half full pay students in them. That means half of the kids are on aid of some kind, and another half have resources that can pay those big bucks. However, when you run your numbers through the calculators, you'll see that you can be a full pay family without being a super rich. EFC truly means "every friggin' cent". So you will always find many families and kids stretching to meet college costs these days. UMiami is no exception. But you also see much diversity there as it gives some good merit awards and attracts kids from all over the US. My good friend whose son is going to Emory was truly divided between Miami and his choice, loved both schools. The diversity at Miami was something he particularly liked.
    But check it out. My son was uncomfortable at some colleges we visited that I thought were good fits for him. I would have thought a preppy, athletic type of school would be for him. He liked something a little bit more relaxed. The catholic schools were comfortable for him, surprisingly, as he did not go to a catholic high school. That was the pattern that developed. Friends of his were surprised to find that their son loved the big state schools over the smaller schools. Sometimes a visit makes a difference. Then again I have seen kids really love a school that does not fit the type he usually likes.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 23,020 Senior Member
    Every Friggin' Cent: I love it!
  • LilyMoonLilyMoon Registered User Posts: 1,832 Senior Member
    UMiami is hugely diverse both economically and geographically. Lots of kids on scholarships with financial concerns as well as many who can easily afford it. My S has met all types. He has friends who are on a strict budget and those who can spend freely. He also knows kids from all over the U.S. and the world. He has mentioned England, St. Croix, Germany, Japan and more.

It is definitely worth a visit. My son is very down to earth and has found some really nice kids to hang out with. I think he is finally realizing how lucky he is to be there.
  • pmrlcommpmrlcomm - Posts: 2,235 Senior Member
    I definitely think you should look at the 100%'ers like Vandy, WashU, Case, Carnegie, Rice, etc...
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 32,048 Senior Member
    Then there are kids like mine - who didn't seem to care whether the school was big or small, urban, suburban or rural. He just needed a critical mass of computer geeks.
  • crazedcrazed Registered User Posts: 1,972 Senior Member
    UMIAMI
    Already mentioned several times but definitely worth an application.
    You can check out their website for merit scholarships which are pretty straight forward and based on GPA and SAT's. Any balance may be picked up by the bright futures scholarship. Post on their CC site and ask about that.
    I agree with the other posters. Your son will find his own friends and fit in. Seem like all of us on this thread have pretty nice, normal kids.
    The campus is beautiful. Freshmen dorms only so-so but all the kids are equal in that regard.
    Good luck!
  • TenthTimeAroundTenthTimeAround Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    I went to UNCCH altho I was from Fla. I returned to Gainesville for med school. I wish California had a bright futures program. I would go to U of Florida if I were him. I think you can find whatever you want there. Growing up in Florida, I know people who went to all the smaller schools in the southeast (from Stetson to Clemson, to Vanderbilt, UMD, Hopkins, Miami)..I would still recommend Gainesville.
  • corrangedcorranged Registered User Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I don't think anyone has mentioned Tulane yet. One of my good friends growing up went to Tulane (starting the fall before Katrina) and absolutely loves it. His scores were similar to your sons', and his class schedule was less impressive, and he ended up getting excellent merit aid and becoming part of the Honors College.

Maybe take a look at Emory, too. I'm pretty sure they give merit aid, but I don't know how generous it is.
This discussion has been closed.