right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

"Battle to Be Valedictorian Gives Some Administrators Pause" (NY Times)

13»

Replies to: "Battle to Be Valedictorian Gives Some Administrators Pause" (NY Times)

• MiamiDAPMiamiDAP 16183 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    I asked at one of the colleges' Honors information session, how they determine the rank if the school does not rank, since Rank was identified as eligibility for Honors program. The answer was that they determine Rank by using school profile and student GPA. Schools that do not rank are making their profile available to colleges.
    · Reply · Share
  • jaybeejaybee 187 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    Son just graduated from a school that does weighted ranking. Tons of gaming of the system, mostly in dropping out of fine arts after requirements are met (to take that 10th grade AP class), and taking required Health (one semester) over the summer as to avoid a second-semester class that would not be highly weighted. The editors of the yearbook and newspaper are not generally highly-ranked, as their classes over the years are not at G&T/AP level. Quite the wacky system.
    · Reply · Share
  • originaloogoriginaloog 2631 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Our hs district still ranks but there does not seem to be an intense competition to be names val or sal. If fact the year my son graduated one of his friends intentionally tried to move out of the sal slot so that she would not have to give a speech at graduation. She succeeded and just graduated from G'town.
    · Reply · Share
  • hikidshikids 1260 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,284 Senior Member
    D's school did not have a val. Speach given by a student selected by students and faculty from several interested and good candidates.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28054 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28,110 Senior Member
    The only time I would see the sense of "fighting" to be valedictorian is if it means a substantial scholarship at a school that can make a big difference to the student. I am not sure how that works, since during the college app process, the high school will be assigning a class rank to kids before the senior year grades are even out. So how the heck do the colleges know who is val and sal until it is "game over"? At the schools here, there does not seem to be a pitched battle, as one of the things that dismays the counselors and teachers is the number of seniors who drop difficult second term classes once their mid year reports are out, or they are accepted early.
    · Reply · Share
  • tickytock14tickytock14 569 replies48 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 617 Member
    my school had 23 valedictorians out of a class of about 480. it was everybody with a 4.0. we don't weight classes at all, so it was an interesting mix of students. we named one salutatorian, who had only one B.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity