Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

How coul dyou not be proud of her

Dad IIDad II Registered User Posts: 2,281 Senior Member
edited July 2008 in Parents Forum
When DD announced her chioce of summer job, the whole family were into shock. You want to do what??!! - "An 18 year old girl selling kitchen xxxxx door to door?". Grandma even offered $1000 to change her mind.

Once I made sure the process has its security safe guards, I offered my 100% support to DD. It would be great to learn how to sell, how to communicate, how to deal when people slam their door on you.

After several days of training, she made the list of preparations and called several people yesterday. 4:30 PM she went off by herself into the real world. She made a sell on the very first appointment!!!!! That like totally surprised me and the whole family. Words failed me at that moment.

Whatever $$ she made is not going to make a difference in our financial situation. However, this experience should benefit her the whole life time.

It is not about 34 or 35 on ACT. It is not about 10 or 15 AP. It is not about 3.85 or 4.00 GPA. It is about a person who determines to do something with all his/her drives.

DD will attend a university this fall. However, I am 100% convinced that it does not really matter what school she attends, she is going to make a difference and significant contribution. I am, as always, very proud of having such a wonderful daughter!!!!!!!
Post edited by Dad II on

Replies to: How coul dyou not be proud of her

• mom58mom58 Registered User Posts: 303 Member
    Well done.

When my younger daughter started selling Girl Scout cookies I was skeptical of some of the supposed benefits of the experience. But I've watched her and have seen the confidence and professionalism. (That might sound a little over-blown for G.S. cookies, but the girls do learn to approach potential buyers politely and to stay polite and upbeat when they don't make the sale (and g.s. cookies are much easier to sell than kitchen products).)
  • y7bbb6y7bbb6 Registered User Posts: 454 Member
    2 of my friends have had experiences with Vector Marketing; one past and one present. Both of them were not positive. I suggest you google it and look into the problems they've had with their recruits... Well anyhow good luck to your daughter!
  • xiggixiggi Registered User Posts: 25,441 Senior Member
    That is one tough summer job. Remember to read about the limits of student earnings on the FAFSA and realize that earnings are reported on the Profile/Css used by your D's undergraduate school.
  • paying3tuitionspaying3tuitions Registered User Posts: 13,330 Senior Member
    Grandma even offered $1000 to change her mind.

Did DD sit down with Grandma and sell her a Homemaker Set instead?

Our S-2 is also amazing us with this, and can sell like crazy. The communication and organization experience is extremely valuable.

But I absolutely hadn't thought of Xiggi's point. Oh, no. Now what. H will have to look into this one while I chop up some vegetables.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,412 Senior Member
    And remember the safety issue of going door-to-door. While I am sure she'll stick to "safe" areas, be that as it may, as a single female, it has its risks. If I had a daughter who wanted to do such a job, I'd want her to bring a friend along with her (preferably a male friend) if she went around ringing doorbells.
  • Dad IIDad II Registered User Posts: 2,281 Senior Member
    DD did very well in her first two days and was in "advanced" training yesterday. Being so motivated, she wanted to win that first 10 day sells award. The supervisor/manager told her that she is on pace to make $10K in two months.

I did let her know about what is the consequence of making that $10K.

Overall, I am still in shock that our DD could make someone writes a check for north of $500. I was joking with another Chinese colleagues that we did not pay $500 for everything in our kitchen if you don't count those things you must plug in.
  • rap_momrap_mom Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Dad II,

Wow -- your DD must have great interpersonal gifts! I have known several kids who made $0 doing the same thing from the same company. Take a look at the following:

Vector Marketing Scam
  • Dad IIDad II Registered User Posts: 2,281 Senior Member
    R_M, she must have and that is what surprised me.

One reason she is doing well may be because we are next to a very rich area. I heard that girls wear $500 clothes to HS every day. They probably put in less attention for $500 as I put in deciding a $0.50 purchase.
  • ellemenopeellemenope Registered User Posts: 11,380 Senior Member
    Well heeled customers helps. I have one cutco knife (a fabulous tool!), but it was $$$$$.
  • paying3tuitionspaying3tuitions Registered User Posts: 13,330 Senior Member
    Putting this to rest: Vector marketing/Cutco doesn't train students to go "door to door" for all the reasons we know well (safety) and the fact that it doesn't result in sales. For same reason, they don't want "cold calls" to strangers.

Instead, it is "direct sales marketing" (like Mary Kay cosmetics) in which each salesperson is an independent contractor. According to the training my son received and follows, he goes from a network of people he already KNOWS, phones them to make appointments.

The stuff is very good quality so for some people, once they see it and try it out in their homes against their own equipment, it's a worthwhile investment.

If she begins with the parents of her school friends, and asks them to recommend people they know (referrals), that's how this company works.

IT IS NOT door-to-door!! If someone rang your doorbell by surprise, they might be doing that because you are known to them as a neighbor. Even so they should have phoned you first and be known to you already.
    I was joking with another Chinese colleagues that we did not pay $500 for everything in our kitchen if you don't count those things you must plug in.

DadII, that made me laugh out loud. My S showed the equipment to an Asian dad (parent of a school friend) and went right to the Sodoku knives, which are the biggest ones I had ever seen. The almost-customer said, "You don't know much about Asian cooking. Here's what I need." The man spread apart his hands by about 20 inches. I think my S found the equivalent of his own Dad, someone who was joking around with him.

Still, S is tearing it up with these sales, because of organization, personality, wearing two-piece suits and a tie on a summer's day, and h.s.-friend contacts from an upscale suburban high school. The product, approach and training are all very good. If she likes it, she can bring it with her to college and continue there.

Of issue is that the students have to buy their own samples to demonstrate, but these can be returned at the end of the summer, or kept at the extreme discounts available to the salespeople as a lifelong investment for their own future kitchens (or anniversary gift to the loving parents who got them this far? we can dream.)
  • momof3boyzmomof3boyz Registered User Posts: 883 Member
    My husband has taught our boys a valuable lesson about future careers. This lesson is also my middle son's favorite quote.....

"Find something you really love to do, then find a way to make a living at it."
  • chubeebochubeebo Registered User Posts: 489 Member
    regarding Vector, some could be successful and make a lot of money selling their products, and the sales experience and training could be helpful. But also be informed that the company has had it's share of lawsuits and complaints. For new high school graduates and college students looking for jobs (that's the demographic Vector targets in recruitment), at least do some research before you decide.

Business - StatesmanJournal.com
    High wages for student work - but beware - Campus News
  • kelsmomkelsmom Registered User Posts: 15,501 Senior Member
    I know a woman who made lots of money for college doing what your D is doing Dad II. If she can sell, more power to her. I am just glad I don't know your family. I sat through one of those presentations several years ago & had to disappoint the young man by not buying anything. I really do not need an expensive knife. I dread people's kids asking me for just a few minutes of my time ...

And I don't need any Amway stuff, either. :)
This discussion has been closed.