Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Too Many Choices????

Replies to: Too Many Choices????

• lspf72lspf72 Registered User Posts: 2,612 Senior Member
    Also, probably the biggest thing that will help her decide is her own impression of each campus and student body. Will she get to do many visits, or any overnights?
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 10,197 Senior Member
    Would like to second Chedva's rec for Rochester. ( Disclosure: my D will be attending there in the fall.) Strong engineering school, medical and dental school across the street from the campus if she wants to explore medical careers, smaller campus and smaller classes, lots of undergrad research opportunities, music conservatory which offers UR students free music lessons if they participate in any of the student musical ensembles. Rochester has a strong swimming team--if that's important.

Rochester is generous with merit scholarships for high achieving students. Interviews for the scholarship can be done with the traveling admission officer--no campus visit required.

A more practical consideration is that several dorms remain open during school holidays--Thanksgiving, fall and spring break if returning home won't be possible. (My D won't be coming home except at semester breaks. Too far and too expensive.)

Also, there will be at least one other student from Alaska at UR next year--and he'll be an engineering major to boot! D met him during Renaissance weekend. Luka was one of the Renassiance scholarship winners.
  • Jman21Jman21 Registered User Posts: 198 Junior Member
    It will not matter if she had the best ACT/SAT score in the world...all the Ivies are reach schools for everyone. There are other things that matter. I believe she probably has a good shot at the ivies, but nothing is guaranteed. For engineering I would suggest Cal Tech+MIT+JHU. The JHU will be more of an IN school than the ivies...and is a good Engineering school.

Good luck. Dont stress out either way...I mean honestly, its a great feeling and happiness should be the spice of the family. Just be calm...go through everything and get the applications done and just sit back, wait, be excited and get ready for school. Good luck again.
  • calmomcalmom Registered User Posts: 20,555 Senior Member
    I think you are mistaken about the impact of the ACT score. Yes, it is a great score and great news... NO, it will not make any difference whatsoever in the ability to get into reach schools as compared to a her 2200 SAT. Sorry.... but the schools are still going to be looking at the whole package. You may be getting different results from online estimators as to safety/match/reach .... but that 2200 SAT along with her GPA was already good enough to win consideration at any college in the country -- and the most selective colleges aren't really going to care about the difference between, say, a 32 ACT and a 34.

It is terrific that your daughter got a great score, but it should NOT change her plans, because the score has more impact on the LOWER end of the selectivity spectrum. That is, a very high score may induce a less selective school to offer more merit money, and it might make a "match" school a little bit safer --- but the reach schools really are not going to be impressed because they are already receiving thousands of applications from students with equally impressive test scores.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,421 Senior Member
    Marinmom-
    If someone hasn't already caught it, Rice is a D1 not a D3 school
  • horsegirl1050horsegirl1050 Registered User Posts: 380 Member
    A female engineering major from Alaska with a 2200 SAT...shes into any school in the country...
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    If financial side is one of criteria for choosing school, ACT of 34 or 36 will result in considerably different Academic FA packages.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 23,030 Senior Member
    Something that hasn't been mentioned that is an issue at the reachiest schools is her HS curriculum. Has she taken the most challenging courses available in most/many/some subjects? If, for example, she has great grades in honors classes, but hasn't taken any of the APs available in those subjects, she's going to look somewhat less appealing to Ivies and their ilk. The SATIIs are an issue also. If she hasn't already, in October she should probably take MathIIC and at least one other; for example, whatever science subject she took this past year.

Being from Alaska has to be a significant plus for most private institutions, especially those on the east coast.

Can you say what schools were on her list before? It may be that all she needs to do is pick a few reaches to add to it.
  • Dad IIDad II Registered User Posts: 2,281 Senior Member
    first of all, congratlations to you and your for her overall accomplishment.

I sing a little different tone than some other people on this forum. With the stats your D has, I would say focus on top 20 (US News ranking) only - regard those top 5 as reaches, 6 - 15 as matches and 16 - 20 as safeties. . Our DD has stats lower than what your D has. She got in Stanford, Duke, Cornell etc.
  • Jman21Jman21 Registered User Posts: 198 Junior Member
    MiamiDAP- you mean at the top universities that dont provide a ton of academic aid?
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 32,074 Senior Member
    DadII, I think you are recommending a very risky approach. My son had 2230 SAT1, 2400 SAT2, top 1% of his class and he got rejected at MIT, Caltech, Stanford and waitlisted at Harvey Mudd. He got into Harvard, but he had the advantage of being a legacy. I think your daughter had great recommendations and great essays, that made the difference. In fact I think Mathson's essays and recommendations probably helped most at Carnegie Mellon where they were read by computer scientists more than at other schools where the admissions committees are generalists.
  • DuperDuper - Posts: 1,125 Senior Member
    "No reaches"

Don't be silly.

And Dad II, your advice is very dangerous.
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    ^^No. I am not familiar with top top, but at in-state ACT = 34 might mean full tuition and 36 might mean full ride which is significant difference. I am sure it is different from state to state and school to school.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    I sing a little different tone than some other people on this forum. With the stats your D has, I would say focus on top 20 (US News ranking) only - regard those top 5 as reaches, 6 - 15 as matches and 16 - 20 as safeties. . Our DD has stats lower than what your D has. She got in Stanford, Duke, Cornell etc.

Dad II! Have you not learned ANYTHING from this forum?
    First off, you don't pick colleges simply by going down the USNWR list. You pick them based on what personally appeals to you, what experiences you want to have, what programs might ring your bell. Which might include #3, #12 and #27. You don't just go #1, #2, #3 and use USNWR as your selection mode.
    Second, there is not a single top 20 school that is a match or a safety for ANYONE, unless the parents are donating a wing. They are all reaches. For everyone. No matter how perfect the scores or how impressive the extracurriculars. Period.
  • bandit_TXbandit_TX Registered User Posts: 2,373 Senior Member
    Actually, Smith, Wellesley, and MHC are matches for a female with top stats. You only have to compete with half the pool. Males don't come into the equation.
This discussion has been closed.