Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Readmittance. . .please, pray for me.

13»

Replies to: Readmittance. . .please, pray for me.

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,849 Senior Member
    LQTM, First...I attended WIU coming from out of state. I was NOT an instate student. My major was speech pathology and their department at the time was a good one. Plus...like I said...they gave me a nice fellowship (tuition and a small stipend).

When I was looking for graduate programs, I knew I wanted to be in the midwest where the grad programs in my field are the best. I also needed to be aware of the costs and potential for significant aid. While I would have LOVED to have attended Northwestern or Purdue, the reality is that my financial situation would have not been as good as the one WIU gave me.

Bottom line....program was great, was accredited by the American Speech and Hearing Association, and I got a great education with excellent practicum experience.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how well known the school is. I still believe you get out of your education what you put into it. I wanted my masters degree and I had a goal. WIU helped me achieve that.
  • LQTMLQTM Registered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    LQTM, First...I attended WIU coming from out of state. I was NOT an instate student. My major was speech pathology and their department at the time was a good one. Plus...like I said...they gave me a nice fellowship (tuition and a small stipend).

Ah, how foolish of me to assume. It's still nice to know that someone benefited and enjoyed their time at an Illinois state university.
    More important LQTM...I've had a very good career in my field for many years. I know many others in my field and in my area, I am well regarded by my fellow professionals.

The "prestige" school for me would have been Northwestern, and I would have loved to go there (had the grades, had the recommendations) but the cost was not going to get me anywhere but in debt.

I graduated from undergrad and grad school (back in the day) with a TOTAL of $1200 in loans that were forgiven by the government because I worked in a low income/rural area for 5 years.
    Hey people, just an update. I'll be finishing my degrees as EIU come spring term! I'll let you know how it goes after the semester is over. Thank you.

: )
  • calgalcalgal Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    Congratulations on your acceptance!!!!
  • TreetopleafTreetopleaf Registered User Posts: 2,721 Senior Member
    Congrats! Work hard and enjoy central Illinois!
    Okay, I received a letter from NIU stating that if I send my JUCO transcripts showing the completion of my associates I'll be granted re-admittance with a new grade point average. Does this mean that I'll start with a fresh GPA? If it does then wouldn't it be wise to reenter? I'm at a crossroads here.
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Registered User Posts: 6,673 Senior Member
    Call them and ask what your gpa would be when you enter.
    UPDATE

For those that responded, thank you. I completed my degree a little over a year ago and graduated with honors (my academic adviser spoke on my behalf to the dean of the college for a heavy consideration). Ironically, most of my professors in my major were surprised by my enthusiasm and "drive" when I visited them during their office hours. I chuckled when one said "we should reserve time for LQTM, particularly." Honestly, I have learned more when I read materials that weren't on the syllabi.

I've been in the work force since July 2011 (job date didn't start till then) and I must say that I enjoy the work. In a year or two I'm thinking of applying to a masters program.

So again, thanks.

From a non-brilliant, far from straight A Ivy League, "average joe" college alumni.
    It's always cheerful news to get a nice update. Congratulations to you!!
  • beth's mombeth's mom Registered User Posts: 3,361 Senior Member
    Good job! Thanks for the excellent update.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,250 Senior Member
    I think you're far from an "average joe." Congratulations on your past successes and best of luck with grad schools.
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,244 Senior Member
    Thanks for the update! Usually these stories just end in mystery. Did you end up graduating from NIU?
    Hanna, EIU.
13»
This discussion has been closed.