right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

MontegutMontegut 5518 replies606 threads Senior Member
edited August 2013 in Parents Forum
Had to share this one. Mentioned to son that he might want to check out University of Minnesota for biomedical engineering because there seem to be a lot of biomed companies located in that area, and would probably be good in obtaining internships, coops.

Son replied that he would not look at Minnesota because he does not like the Vikings because they prevented the Saints from making the playoffs one year.

I was dumbfounded. Boys!

Not even going to bring up any New England school because he absolutely hates the Patriots!

This coming from my non sports loving son who refuses to even visit a school because "sports are too big there."

Again, BOYS!

At least Marquette is safe. We love the Packers!
edited August 2013
1917 replies
Post edited by Montegut on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Stupidest reason child won't look at a college

• JapherJapher 1338 replies11 threads Senior Member
    University of Wisconsin - Madison is a good engineering school too.

I ruled out any college that was too urban.
    · Reply · Share
  • doamedoame 330 replies3 threads Member
    My D refused to look at any college out of state. We live in CA, so we do have a great UC system & some wonderful privates. She had very impressive grades & stats, and I mentioned several wonderful options ... but she'd have none of it. I'm sure it was because deep-down, she's always wanted to go to USC. I also don't think she was quite ready to go 3000 miles away. I guess it's not a stupid reason....but a little frustrating considering what some of her other options could have been.
    · Reply · Share
  • pugmadkatepugmadkate 5824 replies64 threads Senior Member
    My daughter refused to apply to Duke because she said she can't handle southern accents!

Lol!

Believe me, as someone who was born and raised in New Jersey but has lived in the south most of my life, the feels go both ways! I also used to asked, "why do y'all talk so fast?" To which I would reply "Get to the point already!"
    · Reply · Share
  • hudsonvalley51hudsonvalley51 2387 replies96 threads Senior Member
    Cedar Crest? Isn't that a women's college?
    · Reply · Share
  • SVMMomSVMMom 796 replies66 threads Member
    Maybe Colgate?
    · Reply · Share
  • momreadsmomreads 3243 replies5 threads Senior Member
    My son did not consider a school in Pittsburgh because he is a diehard Ravens fan and cannot stand the Steelers. The youngest one said the same, but he is a diehard Washington Capitals fan.
    · Reply · Share
  • FindAPlaceFindAPlace 4660 replies46 threads Senior Member
    Doame:

Well, my S is a junior so he's hadn't applied anywhere just yet. However, it's not been easy to get him to consider anything outside CA, either. His argument: "Why do I need to apply outside CA? There are so many good schools here, I enjoy the culture and like the weather." It's been an interesting process to get him looking at places like Northwestern, UPenn or Duke. He's opening up a little now that the seniors at his school are making their choices.
    · Reply · Share
  • pugmadkatepugmadkate 5824 replies64 threads Senior Member
    Endicott, That is hilarious. Perhaps it should be required reading before a parent can open the "college visits" section.
    · Reply · Share
  • bblfraserbblfraser 230 replies0 threads Junior Member
    These are good. :-) My D refused to consider anything in Virginia or NC because there was too much tobacco grown in the state. A diehard Yankees fan son of a friend ruled out a couple of schools in Boston because of the Red Sox. And another friend's D refused to consider a school because of the tour guide's sandals (another shoe bias vicitim) -- what kind of school attracts somebody who would wear such impractical shoes when they're giving a tour of the campus?
    · Reply · Share