Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I think my parents are over reacting.

Replies to: I think my parents are over reacting.

• Lucy55Lucy55 Registered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
    Maybe I will call in a skip (sick?) day for my son like has asked. But he needs to go to the dentist. LOL
  • MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 12,873 Senior Member
    Depending on your school's policies, skipping class can lead to an automatic decrease in your grades, suspension, or both. These actions could potentially lead to having your college admission rescinded. Thus, your parent's concern seems reasonable.

You should have done your skipping back when you were a freshman. Then, if you got caught, even if you were punished, you could demonstrate "improvement" by not doing it again. The problem with breaking rules during your senior year is that there's no time left to show that you've grown in maturity and mended your ways. Thus, it is prudent to stay out of trouble as a senior -- no matter what the other kids are doing.
  • showmom858showmom858 Registered User Posts: 2,622 Senior Member
    The problem I have if you were my D is that I would not trust that you were not going to behave the same way when you began at a university in the fall and were now living away from home. This is the time in you life that you should be showing your parents how you will be able to function and live away from them on your own at college. My D is a junior this year and has said that some of her senior friends are really slacking off. She can not believe that they would screw things up when they are almost at the finish line!
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    Just grow up and go to class, already.
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
    California public schools also receive less money when a student doesn't show up. It can add up to a big deal in some situations.
  • FindAPlaceFindAPlace Registered User Posts: 4,706 Senior Member
    We get the robocalls as well. I had to take some time straigthening things out with attendance when: 1) The coach was not taking attending very well (annoying) and 2) Son was not turning in a note for his missing time due to dental appointments (easier to correct.)

S is only a junior but I may need to be proactive, since he's already talking about how boring things will be for the three weeks once the AP tests are done. Since he's not a senior, he doesn't have to concern himself over absences that might impact his ability to attend Disneyland Night, graduation, grad night and other senior activities.

I think in some ways he wishes he was a senior since he takes virtually all APs (except for his college level math class) so I'll have to be watchful next year as well ... although he'll then be ip to his eyeballs with college apps for part of the year. Should he be so lucky as to get in his SCEA uber reach, it will be one long second half of senior year.
  • dbwesdbwes Registered User Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    When you say "skip," you mean without having mom call you in, right? Why didn't you just tell her you needed a mental health day? Bottom line is, you lied to her.
    also -- You will be very tempted to skip in college -- BIG MISTAKE.
  • maritemarite Registered User Posts: 21,586 Senior Member
    hmmm. If my Ss were half an hour late, the school secretary was on the phone right away. Usually, it would be because I'd scheduled a trip to the doctor or dentist. Neither of my Ss skipped a single day of school after being admitted. S2 was admitted in mid-December. But iwth APs, finals and a 20-page paper all scheduled for the same month, he probably worked harder in the last semester of high school than in previous years.
  • samiamysamiamy Registered User Posts: 1,712 Senior Member
    our school kids fail for the year if they miss 14 classes w/o reason.

If my d did this, I would have my reservations about her going away to school when the temptation is even greater not to go.
  • minimini Registered User Posts: 26,431 Senior Member
    We all know, really, deep down in our hearts, that the final weeks of senior year are virtually useless from an educational point of view. There's a ton of drinking, drug use, twiddling of thumbs, movie watching, and educational time wasting. It's all good for you.

But don't lie to your mom. She might be more sympathetic, and even give you some good educational rationales, and run interference for you. (I know I would - and did.)
  • samiamysamiamy Registered User Posts: 1,712 Senior Member
    agree

In our house we call them mental health days.
  • vincehvinceh Registered User Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    This is really about two things, trust and maturity.

You've lied. If you'd been proud of what you were doing or if you had expected her to be happy with your actions, you would have told her ahead of time. You've given her a reason not to believe you. In three months you leave for college, you've just planted a seed in her head that says, "She's not ready".

The second issue is about commitment and maturity. There's always going to be a reason to quit. As tough (boring) as it is, the right thing to do is gut it out and show you're committed to finishing what you've started. It's not fun, it's not cool, but it shows that the effort and sacrifice your mom is putting in to get you to college is appreciated. Blowing off classes to electronically doodle in the library just sends the message that, "She's not ready".

Maybe you'll get away with this skipping, maybe you won't, but come September, mom's not going to be there to pick up the mess you make; you're job right now is to show her you are ready.

Good Luck.
  • kayfkayf Registered User Posts: 4,161 Senior Member
    I dont know what to do. The fewer days my D spends in class the better her grades are (except gym). She says she can pull assignments in off the school website and submit via email. I agreee these are valuable skills. She promises me will go class in college and doesnt lie to me.
  • minimini Registered User Posts: 26,431 Senior Member
  • kayfkayf Registered User Posts: 4,161 Senior Member
    Mini, its a little late for that.
This discussion has been closed.