Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Here's a story you never heard

13»

Replies to: Here's a story you never heard

• somemomsomemom Registered User Posts: 11,102 Senior Member
    You did not say what year you are in university; if you are in your first or second year, just work on your core/general ed campus wide requirements. Try a little of everything; if the time comes to declare a major and you still want to pursue English, you will have been given a chance to see many alternate options.
  • diontechristmasdiontechristmas Registered User Posts: 2,891 Senior Member
    Who the hell is Virgil?
  • SchmaltzSchmaltz - Posts: 3,114 Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure he was one of the cops on "Dukes of Hazzard"?
  • diontechristmasdiontechristmas Registered User Posts: 2,891 Senior Member
    I thought he was a wizard or something.
  • EngProfMomEngProfMom Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    Virgil (sometimes spelled Vergil) is a pre-Ninja Ninja
  • minimini Registered User Posts: 26,431 Senior Member
    "Who the hell is Virgil?"

He was a really fine American League pitcher, and an uncle of one of the Allman Brothers.

Virgil Trucks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • timelytimely Registered User Posts: 1,613 Senior Member
    I don't think a Bachelor's in economics would be any more marketable than a Bachelor's in English. Either way you have to go to grad school to make anything of it.
  • binxbinx Registered User Posts: 4,318 Senior Member
    I don't think a Bachelor's in economics would be any more marketable than a Bachelor's in English. Either way you have to go to grad school to make anything of it.
    This belief was what made my H object to my S's majoring in econ. S had 3 job offers before he even graduated. Many grad school programs require work experience first anyway.

To the OP, I want to say that many, many students start out college convinced that they know what they want to major in, and change it - sometimes more than once - along the way. No need to take a hard line about anything yet.

I would also think that if your parents are worried that you will never come back home, let them know that English is an obvious skill to have to teach in the home country, and opens up the international business opportunities as well. And in order to survive in an American college as a foreigner, it helps to know the language very well and makes sense to take extra courses. (I think you already know the language well - I'm just pointing this out as something that might help your parents.)
  • meepomeepo Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Again, thanks for all the suggestions (and the virgil jokes, lol)

I'll be a freshmen in the fall so I'm sure I would've changed my mind many many many times before I declare a major (end of 2nd year).
    I'm sure the counseling people will be a big help once I get there. I was just curious, is all. I've just seen so many good insightful things come out of CC :)
    When I was applying to schools it was SUCH a big help
This discussion has been closed.