Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Health Insurance

13»

Replies to: Health Insurance

• CrewDadCrewDad Registered User Posts: 1,721 Senior Member
    CrewDad you are right that insurance is not needed for an F1 but the college would not accept our D unless we either took theirs or proved we had equal

That's what I said; it's up to the school. ;)
  • maritemarite Registered User Posts: 21,586 Senior Member
    Penn has pretty clear criteria for health insurance waiver. If the OP can find insurance that meets all the criteria and is cheaper, then it should be acceptable.
  • dstdst Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I've never really thought much about the insurance thing. I have my university's insurance and each year I have to spend the full $1500 deductible on my treatments. I had cancer a few years ago and had my colon removed and I'm being followed for an autoimmune liver disorder which means that statistically in the next 10-15 years I will require a transplant.

The university insurance plan is good, because it doesn't exclude any previous health problems and is also relatively cheap. It's around $2500 too. I was wondering what will happen after I get my Ph.D. and try to find a job? What kind of insurance policies do employers usually offer i.e. can they exclude something? How much do you typically have to pay yourself?

I'm an international.
This discussion has been closed.