Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

W PA/Ohio Schools for 3.0 elementary ed major

2»

Replies to: W PA/Ohio Schools for 3.0 elementary ed major

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,106 Senior Member
    Bachelor's in Education

Check the state requirements for certification before you assume that the above is the preferred degree. Where I am (CT) ALL teachers (including elementary) are required to have a major field of study in a content area (math, sciences, humanities, arts, whatever) AND take the teaching certification courses too.

And in our state (and many others) a masters or equivalent is required within a certain number of years anyway.
  • OHKIDOHKID Registered User Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    Try Bowling Green and Eastern Michigan, which offers in-state tuition to all Ohio residents. Both would most likely accept your daughter, and are great schools, especially for aspiring teachers.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 19,536 Senior Member
    Not sure where in PA you are, but we recently visited Mount Union in Alliance Ohio (maybe 1 -1 1/2 hours from PA?) and we were told one of their top majors is education. The campus is small, but definitely has all the "pieces" of a college campus. Most of the buildings were in great shape - dorms included! Pretty campus, decent surrounding town, small college atmosphere.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Registered User Posts: 7,737 Senior Member
    As other posters have said, make sure your daughter gives a lot of thought as to where she wants to teach after graduation. When we were looking at colleges I thought we were being very smart to ask about reciprocal agreements for teacher certification when we looked at out of state colleges. All of the colleges that we looked at oos said they had reciprocal agreements with PA. However, what we found out was while the degree was accepted, she still needed to take the PA praxis tests and jump through a few hoops to get certified. She is going for her third state certification right now, and it requires another set of tests. The tests are similar to the SAT's where the upper level ones are only given at certain times of year in particular locations. A friends son who graduated from a college in the south with a secondary ed degree and certification in History was told that he needed to take two more math classes for PA to certify him.

In hindsight, I'm not sure we would have done anything differently, but we would have known about the timing for the tests.
  • yabeyabe2yabeyabe2 Registered User Posts: 2,454 Senior Member
    Some PA schools I have heard good things about are Alleghenny; Lebanon Valley; Elizabethtown; Lycoming; Susquehanna and Bloomsburg. I know some of these are more Central PA than Western

Best of luck to her--she sounds like a lovely girl who will make a great teacher--perhaps a teacher of Special Ed students?
  • LaurenTheMomLaurenTheMom Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    I can't tell you what a comfort CC is to me. All of the kind words and advice from people who offer advice so selflessly..I am so thankful.

She is interested in a dual degree including special ed. At the end of the day, I think she may be best in special ed with young children. It's hard to predict where she will teach, but since we are in the WPA/Ohio area now, it will (we hope) be here. Plus there are urban areas that are still hiring. Clarion/Edinboro/SRU are the closest to us. One of my dilemnas has been to determine if it is worth the extra money for her to attend a private school. Will there be a better group of kids? A better environment? We plan to look at St. Vincent, and Mt. Union has been on our list as well. I also understand that graduates of Clarion/Edinboro/SRU are hired around here all the time - so with elem ed, is there any preference for a private school?

Again, thank you all so much.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Registered User Posts: 7,737 Senior Member
    My daughter did a private school and the curriculum was an advantage. She had three student teaching experiences, plus did a study abroad and double majored. I don't know if there is any public school in PA that will have you doing actual student teaching (and not just observing) by sophomore year. We looked pretty closely at the curriculum and study abroad options as those were important to my daughter. If your daughter can figure out her priorities, that will really help.

All schools will get you into a classroom for student teaching and that's where it can be advantageous to have a Principal know you when he's looking for new hires.
  • osdadosdad Registered User Posts: 521 Member
    Major investments done over the past few years have really changed the face of the Uni. Ground breaking for a new $54M assembly hall was just this morning. (Now if the town could only follow suit.)

Besides when asked where she went to school, a CUP grad can say she has degrees from two of the top schools in the nation. - if she mumbles just right!!!
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 19,536 Senior Member
    Enjoy your Mount Union visit - we have been there twice and it's really nice campus.
This discussion has been closed.