Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

PSEO UMinnesota Tc

kenny2012kenny2012 Registered User Posts: 406 Member
edited October 2009 in Parents Forum
Has anyone ever tried this program? I'll be a sophomore this year and my current
Gpa is 3.77 ap/honors. I have a couple of questions.

How did you transport everyday to u of Minnesota?

Can you attend schools like Carlson?

Do you get auto accepted after you graduate h.s?

Thanks
Post edited by kenny2012 on

Replies to: PSEO UMinnesota Tc

• kenny2012kenny2012 Registered User Posts: 406 Member
    Bump......anyone
  • ModadunnModadunn Registered User Posts: 6,263 Senior Member
    PSEO is usually run through the public school that you attend. And I am fairly sure most of the classes are taken at the local community college. Private schools on the other hand might offer a number of CIS classes on their campus, but will not support PSEO classes as part of your tuition (and while you can still take them, they'd be at your own expense.).

Your best bet is to contact your school's guidance office, as they will have the information on how to enroll. Be careful, however, if you play sports because you have to be in attendance for some minimum amt of hours in order to be eligible for MSHSL sports.
  • KajonKajon Registered User Posts: 4,479 Senior Member
    One of my son's classmates (private school) attends his math class at the U of MN. His parents have to provide the transportation.
  • bclintonkbclintonk Registered User Posts: 7,652 Senior Member
    ^^^ That's not totally accurate, Modadunn. You do have to work with your HS to fit PSEO into your schedule and it's probably true that more people take PSEO classes at community colleges than anywhere else, but for qualified students there are more and arguably better options.

My D, a rising HS senior, is doing PSEO at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. She took 2 classes there in the fall of her junior year, 3 more in the spring, and will do 2 or 3 each semester in her senior year. We homeschool so there's no conflict with the rest of her HS curriculum which can be flexibly scheduled around her U schedule. The U has about 500 PSEO students at any given time; most are top students at local high schools, though there are also quite a few homeschoolers, including a few who take a full load of college courses on the state's dime in their junior and senior years of high school. You need to apply to get into PSEO at the U, and they accept only the most qualified applicants based on SAT or ACT scores, rigor of HS curriculum, HS grades, essays, teacher/GC recommendations, etc.

Here's the U's PSEO page:

Prospective Students

Most Minnesota public colleges and universities (all University of Minnesota campuses and the MNSCU system) and many private colleges (including among others Hamline, St. Kate's, St. Thomas, St. Scholastica, Concordia, Gustavus Adolphus, and Macalester) also accept PSEO students. Some of the privates accept a lot of PSEO students, some only a few. My D applied to and was accepted to do PSEO at Macalester in her junior year, but they're very restrictive about it: they only let in a very few of the most qualified students to take only one class at a time, and then only upon showing it's a class you can't get elsewhere. After being accepted both at Macalester and at the U, my D decided she'd rather take several classes at the U instead of just the one at Macalester, and she's been happy with that decision as overall she's had a very positive experience at the U. Some of the less selective private colleges in the area take more PSEO students and are less restrictive in how many classes you can take. The whole point of PSEO is that the state pays the tuition, and that's true at private colleges as well as publics.

A couple more things about PSEO at the U. First, they have an "instant admissions" program for PSEO students early in the fall of your senior year, when each PSEO student sits down with the admissions staff who evaluate their credentials including how they did in their junior-year PSEO courses and offer admission to the U for the following year on the spot---or not---with no obligation for the student to decide until the spring. Since most PSEO students do pretty well, most are admitted. It helps the U because it gives them a leg up in the competition for some very good students, and PSEO students who have a good experience at the U are probably somewhat more likely to accept the offer of admission. For the students, it's at a minimum a "safety" in the bag early in the fall, taking off some of the pressure and anxiety of the college admissions hunt. (On the other hand if you're not accepted, it's at least an early wake-up call that you'd better rethink your admissions strategy). Second, if you do enroll in the U as a full-time student, they'll count all your PSEO classes toward your graduation requirements without havigg to go through a complicated process to transfer credits. A friend of my D who did two years of PSEO and is enrolling in the U's Honors College full-time in the fall has enough credits in the bank that he's technically entering as a second-semester sophomore---meaning he & his parents need to bankroll only 2 and a half years of college rather than 4. Personally, I'd prefer that my D have her full 4 years of college, but for people for whom that's a stretch financially, PSEO may be a real boon---depending on how many classes your HS and the U will let you take.

As for transportation, take the bus. The U is served by a ton of bus routes, and parking is expensive. As a PSEO student you get many of the same privileges as regular U students, including the opportunity to buy a U-Pass that gives you unlimited rides on buses and light rail for something like $85 a semester. That's your best bet.
  • NorthMinnesotaNorthMinnesota Registered User Posts: 6,668 Senior Member
    I know many MN PSEO students and they have loved it! A recent grad was able to transfer all her credits to a select LAC in Iowa and entered as a sophomore.It is a great option if you don't mind being away from your HS. All the students I know either drove or caught the bus.
  • ChiSquareChiSquare Registered User Posts: 746 Member
    My d also took PSEO classes. In her case, she went to one of the local LACs rather than at the U because she could walk to the LAC. It is a very good deal.
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    First, they have an "instant admissions" program for PSEO students early in the fall of your senior year, when each PSEO student sits down with the admissions staff who evaluate their credentials including how they did in their junior-year PSEO courses and offer admission to the U for the following year on the spot---or not

The key idea here in bclintonk's helpful reply in answer to the OP's question is the "or not." The U of MN reports that about 97 percent of students offered an "on the spot" admission appointment are admitted to the university. The other 3 percent suffer various forms of misfortune, so, no, you shouldn't assume that being admitted to PSEO automatically guarantees admission to the U of MN. That said, PSEO can be a great opportunity for young people who want to challenge themselves during high school. My son found several courses through PSEO that would have been unavailable at any high school in the Twin Cities.

The PSEO program at the U of MN runs very good information sessions for prospective students that are well worth attending.
  • mm99mm99 Registered User Posts: 275 Junior Member
    A perk I got when I did PSEO classes was that I considered a part time student so I could get student discounts. But I was in Iowa.
    Anyone plan to do Pseo next year. I am currently a sophomore in hs taking the most rigorous schedule excluding general math.

Anyone who has done pseo at the UofM twin cities or is planning to. Please email me tips or anything about pseo.

Thanks
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    PSEO is a great opportunity. Just be sure to be self-motivated about getting your homework done. There isn't a lot of hand-holding at the U of MN Twin Cities (my alma mater).
    That's what I want, Independent. I just don't like the hand holding in high school. It just makes you feel like your back in kindergarten again.

I just hope I get admitted full time 5 months from now lol.
    Anyone else who done PSEO at the U?
This discussion has been closed.