Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Immunizations for the college-bound kid

2»

Replies to: Immunizations for the college-bound kid

• evitajr1evitajr1 Registered User Posts: 943 Member
    Better start shots early because the Hepatitis vaccines take more than one shot at certain intervals. My D had 2 and when we turned in her shot record to the college, (these are required by MA law) they said they could do the last one, or we could do it when she comes home in January. Since we started the series when she was under 18 at a county supported clinic, she will continue the series as if she were a minor for $10 per shot. Adults get to pay lots more. Also got the meningitis shot, but that cost $130 and that is the county backed price!!!! The old one is just $10.
  • momsdreammomsdream Registered User Posts: 1,631 Senior Member
    Son got the meningitis vaccine last week - HMO covered the cost.
  • IcarusIcarus Registered User Posts: 4,336 Senior Member
    My daughter just ahd a physical and dr recommended the flu vaccine but not the menigitis because she isn't in a dorm

to be perfectly blunt, thats not a good reason not to get the vaccine.
  • collegialmomcollegialmom Registered User Posts: 771 Member
    The new meningitis vaccine, called Menactra, is eventually going to be recommended for all children. The target groups now are adolescents, highest priority being college entry students. The only reason now not to give it to all teenagers beginning at age 11 is the limited availability of the vaccine. Most doctors are trying to give it to college bound students as the first priority.

This vaccine is more broad spectrum per serotypes of the bacteria, and lasts several years longer, so it will be given to far more adolescents and young adults. It has been well-tested and gives good strong protection against a devastating disease. It is highly recommended for all adolescents, with few exceptions, not just those in dorms, because even though the dorm population has the highest incidence, it is not limited to that population only.

Here is the link to the CDC information:

http://www.meningococcaldisease.com/support_files/protect/menactra/MMWR5-27-05.pdf
  • over30over30 Registered User Posts: 2,411 Senior Member
    My son got the old vaccine a year ago. Would it be ok to get Menactra now? Should he?
  • maritemarite Registered User Posts: 21,586 Senior Member
    Mine also got the old vaccine last year. It is good for about 2-3 more years, though it does not provide as good coverage as Menactra. I asked his pediatrician about getting the Menactra now, but she did not recommend it. Coureur, however, recommends getting the new vaccine now, even if one has already had the old one. I doubt I could persuade my S's pediatrician to administer it (our HMO covers it).
  • over30over30 Registered User Posts: 2,411 Senior Member
    My youngest got his in May before he went to governor's school. Insurance paid $120 of the $130 charge. Of course our insurance changed in July and the new one pays nothing. I think we'll wait until next summer. He's in a single and kind of weird about cleanliness, so maybe he'll be okay. Thanks Marite.
This discussion has been closed.