right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

What should Tulane kids do now?

Replies to: What should Tulane kids do now?

• sacsac 1528 replies19 threads Senior Member
    AP New Jersey

Rutgers offers help for New Jersey students displaced by Katrina

August 31, 2005, 7:13 PM EDT
    NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. -- Rutgers University will provide "visiting student" status to New Jerseyans who attend colleges and universities in areas devastated by Hurricane Katrina, Rutgers President Richard L. McCormick said Wednesday.
    Under the program, the students are eligible to take courses at Rutgers and transfer credits back to their home institutions. They would be responsible for in-state tuition and fees, although Rutgers would consider delaying payment in individual cases.
    The visiting students would return to their Gulf Coast schools as soon those institutions can be safely reopened.

Just appeared on AP. I think more will follow.
    · Reply · Share
  • concerneddadconcerneddad 1591 replies143 threads Senior Member
    Sounds like Tulane is not yet giving up on the notion of a Fall semester. Just how, when, and where are not apparent.

August 31, 6 p.m.

Things continue to be unstable in New Orleans, although there is hope that we have experienced the worst. We continue to put the safety of students and employees first. We are working around the clock to bring continuity to the university and to re-establish our presence, however much of this is dependant on the city of New Orleans and Mother Nature. One of our greatest frustrations is our inability to communicate with our larger community due to the failure of all utilities, including e-mail and cell phones. Over the next few days we will have a better handle on the timeline for our recovery. In the meantime, nearly all of our students have been relocated to their home communities or other safe locations under our supervision. All of our residence halls are secure and the contents appear intact. I know all of our students are anxious about our re-opening date; again, in the next few days we will be able to speak more confidently about a start date for the fall semester.

The faculty, staff and students of Tulane University, especially in our medical and public health schools, have proven to be an extraordinary group who have not only conducted themselves with patience and decorum but have reached out to others in acts of exemplary valor in situations small and large.

Tulane University is a great institution with loyal students, faculty, staff and alumni. We will recover from this event and be stronger because of it. I will be in touch as we know more and the situation develops.

Scott Cowen
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 8379 replies514 threads Senior Member
    concerneddad- I think I speak for all the Tulane parents when I thank you for taking the time to keep us posted.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom60mom60 8379 replies514 threads Senior Member
    After reading some of the replies I put in a call to our local UC and they were really helpful. They are willing to say that pending review of her senior yr grades they would admit her and there is still some housing available if she acts quickly . But that option would mean giving up on Tulane. Another option they have is extension courses for the fall.
    We were going to call her 2nd choice school in the morning and see if she could still attend.
    But after reading the last post my concerneddad I think she will have more to consider.
    · Reply · Share
  • sybbie719sybbie719 20966 replies2052 threads Super Moderator
    I think that it is great that Rugters has stepped up and I expect to see more schools follow suit. I know that there are a few schools on the quarter system that have not begun classes yet. Dartmouth does not have classes until approx. 9/22. I know NYU does not begin classes until tuesday 9/6. As many schools are just going through orientation, they have not begun classes yet.

It has been a whirlwind of activity since all of this started and I too believe that Tulane is going to have contigency plans in place for its students. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
    · Reply · Share
  • cheerscheers 5054 replies109 threads Senior Member
    Despite Tulane's best intentions, it may not be possible for them to reopen before the rest of the city reopens.

It does sound like Cowen was prepared to protect university property. That is reassuring.

I am not sure what Tulane kids should do now, except to try to adjust to one of life's unforeseen circumstances--and count the blessings that they did escape with.

Tulane parents should examine their tuition insurance policies at the very least and form alternate plans as soon as possible. Tulane is as much a part of the Big Easy as Mardi Gras. No matter what alternate plans students devise, temporary universities et al, I am sure Tulane will find a way to give a 'Big Easy' embrace to those students when they return to Tulane, scholarships and all.
    · Reply · Share
  • momof2incamomof2inca 3419 replies65 threads Senior Member
    ctymom, I am so sorry for what you (and of course the other parents and kids) are going through. I can only imagine how hard this is for your S and for you. I've followed your story since application days last year, and, well, my heart just goes out to you. I wish I could fly your S out to be with my S for a semester at Cal. I know things will work out for you, but, oh, this is just so difficult right now. Keep the faith, hang on to the scholarship, my guess is that Tulane will come back better in the long run and stronger in the short run and that it will be one heck of a tight-knit class that emerges. I earned my master's degree at Cal State Northridge when it opened after the earthquake in 94 and while we were in portable classrooms and walking on dirt "sidewalks" the comraderie that developed in the aftermath of that disaster was wonderful, unlike any other institutuion I've been involved with. But I know how this must be a blow for your freshman to be.
    · Reply · Share
  • ctymomteacherctymomteacher 938 replies39 threads Member
    Thanks very much, momof2inca! You are a good soul. Right now just having my son here in his bed is enough for me, but I feel more of a sense of loyalty to Tulane already, after the way they've taken care of him through this crisis, than I ever did to my own alma mater! I'm with him in his plan to help clean up and put Tuane back together if they'll let him. He'll be fine. I think you're right about the bond they'll have, and I KNOW it's just silly to even think of writing off a university or a city after three days. He won't even think of going anywhere else.

I still say, give these people a chance to do what they're good at. They'll come through.
    · Reply · Share
  • taxguytaxguy 6244 replies385 threads Senior Member
    Syracuse University just announced, if you go on their web site at www.syr.edu, that enrolled Tulane students can enroll at Syracuse for FREE during this semester. In addition, the first 15 kids that take them up on offer, will get free room and board too! Check out the news on their web site.
    · Reply · Share
  • jmmomjmmom 8916 replies168 threads Senior Member
    My thought for tonight. Picture ourselves, four years from now in May (we freshmen Tulane families, a year or two sooner for you upperclass families). Picture us at commencement and imagine the feeling. Imagine the feeling welling up in that convocation among our kids and us, their families, for what they will have experienced, how they will have been inspired and what they will have accomplished as a University and as members of their larger New Orleans community. There will be no graduating class anywhere who will be able to hold a candle to what we will be feeling on that day.
    · Reply · Share
  • ec1234ec1234 1199 replies2 threads Senior Member
    i know that its not for undergraduate- but fordham law school is accepting any student who was supposed to go to tulane law school- and giving the tuition to tulane law school to help them rebuild and such
    · Reply · Share
  • JeepMOMJeepMOM 2468 replies31 threads Senior Member
    I also heard on the news tonite that schools in Texas are doing the same - letting Tulane students attend free with places to stay as well - and transferable back to Tulane when it reopens. At least another option to consider as well. I would be incredible surprised to see Tulane able to have any type of semester for the fall - as it will depend on several other outcomes in NO itself - but my thoughts are with all the students displaced for now - i really do feel that things will work out - somehow
    · Reply · Share
  • alongfortheridealongfortheride 471 replies3 threads Member
    sluggbugg, thank you for the words of inspiration. When sleeplessness hits at 3 a.m. like it has all week, I'll find comfort in them.

Cheers, I don't think we'll need to check insurance policies. Me especially, since I was going to settle s's account after I checked on a couple on non-posted items. I would have done it at move in, but that didn't happen. Since I have no one to call and no way to pay on line, I don't think Tulane will hold it against us. I think that when the university opens once again, I will get my opportunity. I don't think that Tulane will keep tuition collected prior to the evacuation if the semester for some reason doesn't occur, and since loan payments don't post until
    September, I think the lenders will have had time to work out something on disbursements. And as Concerneddad has said before, Scott Cowan has a terrific track record.
    · Reply · Share
  • over30over30 2341 replies69 threads Senior Member
    I had to call our medical insurance company this evening to find out about coverage for my son this fall, since our insurance company changed. It occurred to me that medical insurance may be a problem if you are covering your child on your family policy rather than on the university policy. To keep my son on our policy after age 18 he has to be a full-time student and has to send them proof of enrollment. I have no idea how the company would deal with this situation, but you might want to ask.
    · Reply · Share
  • concerneddadconcerneddad 1591 replies143 threads Senior Member
    not to over-lawyer it, but he is "enrolled." And please please please, let me be the lawyer that gets to take "that" case in front of a jury if the insurance companydenies benefits!!
    · Reply · Share
  • im_blueim_blue 2139 replies3 threads Senior Member
    fordham law school is accepting any student who was supposed to go to tulane law school
    Can you tell me where you heard this from, or is there a link online? Thanks.
    · Reply · Share
  • ec1234ec1234 1199 replies2 threads Senior Member
    my dad is a professor at fordham, and taught at tulane years ago. I think an email was sent out to faculty
    · Reply · Share
  • cheerscheers 5054 replies109 threads Senior Member
    The only thing is, as I understand it, Tulane Law school teaches Napoleonic law. Louisiana has a different legal system than the other 49 states. I don't believe the Fordham school teaches Napoleonic law....

Also, I've used tuition insurance before...for private school tuition when we moved overseas. It is highly unlikely that an institution with it's back up against the proverbial financial wall will refund any monies deposited although they MAY allow students to break or modify enrollment agreements depending on the time delay.

I am sure the legal team at Tulane is sorting through these scenarios as we type--assuming Cowan was clever enough to get a few lawyers to stay in town....

Tulane is not Harvard--or even Wash U for that matter. They do not have deep endowment pockets, (partially, in my opinion, because so few graduates stay in New Orleans after graduation).
    · Reply · Share
  • calmomcalmom 20882 replies168 threads Senior Member
    Cheers, if Tulane does not reopen this semester, they will HAVE to refund tuition and housing payments -- they will have no choice. The money is paid in contemplation of a service being provided - and when the service is not provided - money has to be refunded. This can be avoided in some contexts with a Force Majeure clause in a contract.... but you don't usually have to sign a contract with those sorts of clauses for college tuition.

Now obviously the timing of refunds and accounting is another matter entirely. Tulane seemed very proactive in setting up an emergency web site at a safe off campus location (the emergency site is on a server in Atlanta) - so maybe they were also proactive in making sure their electronic data regarding enrollment and fees was stored safely off site. But if not, it may take quite a while to sort out who has paid what and who is owed what.

Tulane, in turn, may have to rely on insurers or dig deep into its endowment to help cover those losses -- though I would imagine that Tulane alums can expect to be hearing some very heartfelt pleas for donations in the coming months.

I do know that credit card companies in the past have been very understanding about deferring payments in the wake of natural disasters -- so any Tulane parent who has placed charges on a credit card may want to get in touch with their card company immediately, as it is possible that some sort of arrangements may be made to defer billing and/or payments while this is all sorted out.
    · Reply · Share
  • im_blueim_blue 2139 replies3 threads Senior Member
    The only thing is, as I understand it, Tulane Law school teaches Napoleonic law. Louisiana has a different legal system than the other 49 states. I don't believe the Fordham school teaches Napoleonic law....
    I believe most law schools allow 3L's to be visiting students at another law school, since you barely take any important courses anyway. So I think those students should be OK, while 1L's would have a harder time somewhere else.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity