Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What should Tulane kids do now?

Replies to: What should Tulane kids do now?

• dt123dt123 Registered User Posts: 1,178 Senior Member
    Furman is comparable to Tulane. I know FU has an oddball schedule, and has not begun this semester's classes yet. IMO, Tulane students should not just sit idle this semester.
  • sluggbuggsluggbugg Registered User Posts: 1,101 Senior Member
    Concerneddad & ctymomteacher:::::slugghuggs:::::

The mother in me wants to prepare meals for all of the families who no longer have homes.
    The parent in me wants to help the schools get back on their feet.
    The Girl Scout leader in me wants to organize the power of young people.
    The hard worker in me wants to help people search for their belongings.
    The animal lover in me wants to provide emergency shelters for all of the lost pets and displaced creatures.
    The do-it-yourselfer in me wants to rebuild, one sturdy house at a time.
    The optimist in me says that you are surrounded by a World Wide community who will lift you up and help you recover. :)

The individual in me will make an online donation to the Red Cross, today.
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Registered User Posts: 12,379 Senior Member
    dt123, My friend's D is a Tulane freshman. She is not even home yet. My friend is completely frozen, unsure of what to do. Could you blame her? It is shocking. Anyway, I did speak w her today. Mom is going to go to her D's hs gc to see what she can do. D is currently w roomate in Memphis. The mother is contemplating a local community college (back home) for this semester because she feels that she needs to take some action to get her D situated for this semester.
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Registered User Posts: 12,379 Senior Member
    sluggbugg, I could not have said it as eloquently as you did, and I am sure those are sentiments of most Americans.
  • sacsac Registered User Posts: 1,547 Senior Member
    I'm touched by the faith that the Tulane parents have in their college administration -- and I believe them. I don't think this institution is going to die, that they are going to allow their students and faculty to scatter without putting up a darn good fight. I think they will come up with arrangements to keep on teaching and, I'd be inclined to give them that chance. I would hope other educational institutions will also help them out -- whether through loaning physical facilities, sharing online capabilities, or simply understanding that transcripts from Tulane students will end up looking a little unusual. If that doesn't happen, I hope that there is some way we parents of students at other institutions, or parents affiliated with other institutions, can help make that happen.

As for what individual students should do, obviously this depends on them, their feelings, and differing financial and other situations. I wish them all the very, very best. I'd be tempted to take at least a few days just to celebrate that they are safe!
  • sacsac Registered User Posts: 1,547 Senior Member
    AP New Jersey

Rutgers offers help for New Jersey students displaced by Katrina

August 31, 2005, 7:13 PM EDT
    NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. -- Rutgers University will provide "visiting student" status to New Jerseyans who attend colleges and universities in areas devastated by Hurricane Katrina, Rutgers President Richard L. McCormick said Wednesday.
    Under the program, the students are eligible to take courses at Rutgers and transfer credits back to their home institutions. They would be responsible for in-state tuition and fees, although Rutgers would consider delaying payment in individual cases.
    The visiting students would return to their Gulf Coast schools as soon those institutions can be safely reopened.

Just appeared on AP. I think more will follow.
  • concerneddadconcerneddad Registered User Posts: 1,734 Senior Member
    Sounds like Tulane is not yet giving up on the notion of a Fall semester. Just how, when, and where are not apparent.

August 31, 6 p.m.

Things continue to be unstable in New Orleans, although there is hope that we have experienced the worst. We continue to put the safety of students and employees first. We are working around the clock to bring continuity to the university and to re-establish our presence, however much of this is dependant on the city of New Orleans and Mother Nature. One of our greatest frustrations is our inability to communicate with our larger community due to the failure of all utilities, including e-mail and cell phones. Over the next few days we will have a better handle on the timeline for our recovery. In the meantime, nearly all of our students have been relocated to their home communities or other safe locations under our supervision. All of our residence halls are secure and the contents appear intact. I know all of our students are anxious about our re-opening date; again, in the next few days we will be able to speak more confidently about a start date for the fall semester.

The faculty, staff and students of Tulane University, especially in our medical and public health schools, have proven to be an extraordinary group who have not only conducted themselves with patience and decorum but have reached out to others in acts of exemplary valor in situations small and large.

Tulane University is a great institution with loyal students, faculty, staff and alumni. We will recover from this event and be stronger because of it. I will be in touch as we know more and the situation develops.

Scott Cowen
  • mom60mom60 Registered User Posts: 8,197 Senior Member
    concerneddad- I think I speak for all the Tulane parents when I thank you for taking the time to keep us posted.
  • mom60mom60 Registered User Posts: 8,197 Senior Member
    After reading some of the replies I put in a call to our local UC and they were really helpful. They are willing to say that pending review of her senior yr grades they would admit her and there is still some housing available if she acts quickly . But that option would mean giving up on Tulane. Another option they have is extension courses for the fall.
    We were going to call her 2nd choice school in the morning and see if she could still attend.
    But after reading the last post my concerneddad I think she will have more to consider.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,611 Super Moderator
    I think that it is great that Rugters has stepped up and I expect to see more schools follow suit. I know that there are a few schools on the quarter system that have not begun classes yet. Dartmouth does not have classes until approx. 9/22. I know NYU does not begin classes until tuesday 9/6. As many schools are just going through orientation, they have not begun classes yet.

It has been a whirlwind of activity since all of this started and I too believe that Tulane is going to have contigency plans in place for its students. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
  • cheerscheers Registered User Posts: 5,163 Senior Member
    Despite Tulane's best intentions, it may not be possible for them to reopen before the rest of the city reopens.

It does sound like Cowen was prepared to protect university property. That is reassuring.

I am not sure what Tulane kids should do now, except to try to adjust to one of life's unforeseen circumstances--and count the blessings that they did escape with.

Tulane parents should examine their tuition insurance policies at the very least and form alternate plans as soon as possible. Tulane is as much a part of the Big Easy as Mardi Gras. No matter what alternate plans students devise, temporary universities et al, I am sure Tulane will find a way to give a 'Big Easy' embrace to those students when they return to Tulane, scholarships and all.
  • momof2incamomof2inca Registered User Posts: 3,484 Senior Member
    ctymom, I am so sorry for what you (and of course the other parents and kids) are going through. I can only imagine how hard this is for your S and for you. I've followed your story since application days last year, and, well, my heart just goes out to you. I wish I could fly your S out to be with my S for a semester at Cal. I know things will work out for you, but, oh, this is just so difficult right now. Keep the faith, hang on to the scholarship, my guess is that Tulane will come back better in the long run and stronger in the short run and that it will be one heck of a tight-knit class that emerges. I earned my master's degree at Cal State Northridge when it opened after the earthquake in 94 and while we were in portable classrooms and walking on dirt "sidewalks" the comraderie that developed in the aftermath of that disaster was wonderful, unlike any other institutuion I've been involved with. But I know how this must be a blow for your freshman to be.
  • ctymomteacherctymomteacher Registered User Posts: 977 Member
    Thanks very much, momof2inca! You are a good soul. Right now just having my son here in his bed is enough for me, but I feel more of a sense of loyalty to Tulane already, after the way they've taken care of him through this crisis, than I ever did to my own alma mater! I'm with him in his plan to help clean up and put Tuane back together if they'll let him. He'll be fine. I think you're right about the bond they'll have, and I KNOW it's just silly to even think of writing off a university or a city after three days. He won't even think of going anywhere else.

I still say, give these people a chance to do what they're good at. They'll come through.
  • taxguytaxguy Registered User Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    Syracuse University just announced, if you go on their web site at www.syr.edu, that enrolled Tulane students can enroll at Syracuse for FREE during this semester. In addition, the first 15 kids that take them up on offer, will get free room and board too! Check out the news on their web site.
  • jmmomjmmom Registered User Posts: 9,084 Senior Member
    My thought for tonight. Picture ourselves, four years from now in May (we freshmen Tulane families, a year or two sooner for you upperclass families). Picture us at commencement and imagine the feeling. Imagine the feeling welling up in that convocation among our kids and us, their families, for what they will have experienced, how they will have been inspired and what they will have accomplished as a University and as members of their larger New Orleans community. There will be no graduating class anywhere who will be able to hold a candle to what we will be feeling on that day.
This discussion has been closed.