Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

International Student Cost

periklisperiklis Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
edited February 2011 in Penn State
I received a mail from DISA (the international office) about the necessary procedure needed so that I can get my VISA documents and when I logged in to complete the forms in the financial guarantee page I discovered that the cost for 1 year in University park is 49.450 US dollars! I mean that is MIT money and 2-3 months back the cost for 1 year was around 38.000 dollars. What happened and there is a 30% rise in the cost?
Post edited by periklis on

Replies to: International Student Cost

• QuietTypeQuietType Registered User Posts: 712 Member
    The financial guarantee includes costs for living and medical expenses for the entire year. It's not PSU that is charging you $49,500, it's an estimate of how much it might cost to live in the USA and attend PSU for a 12 month year. (Note: the guarantee breakdown still shows tuition as $28,700)
  • greekdadgreekdad Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    How is that Quiet Type? I mean, if the tuition is $28,700 how can the estimated cost go up almost to the double? I mean that usually universities estimate about up to $10,000 for boarding (room plus food), medical insurance, books etc.
  • QuietTypeQuietType Registered User Posts: 712 Member
    The PSU international student estimate shows $19,200 for 12 months (not just 9) of living expenses (including $1,600 for books) as well as $1,550 for health insurance. Add those to the $28,700 tuition and the total comes to $49,500. Please be aware that as the form says "ALL FIGURES CITED ARE BROAD ESTIMATES FOR USE ONLY FOR FINANCIAL GUARANTEE REQUIREMENTS"

Here's a link to the PSU website for international student and finances:
    University Office of Global Programs - Penn State University

And here's a link to the "12-Month Estimated Expenses and Financial Guarantee for International Students" form on the PSU website where the estimate numbers came from:
    http://www.global.psu.edu/international_students/pdf/FA11UP.pdf
  • periklisperiklis Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    Thanks a lot for the help quietype!
This discussion has been closed.