Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!
John2324John2324 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
edited August 2013 in Penn State
I am a male high school senior planning on applying to UP for fall of 2014 semester. I have a 3.85 wgpa, and a 1620 on the SAT. Have taken many AP and advanced courses. I've done SADD club, key club, National honors society, Spanish NHS. Top 20% of my class. I was planning on engineering. What are my chances for UP looking like?

And I was also wondering if when applying they look at past family members who went to Penn State? Because both of my parents went there and my grandfather did also.

So just wondering mainly about my chances for fall UP.
Post edited by John2324 on

Replies to: Chances?

• slipjigslipjig Registered User Posts: 601 Member
    SAT is low for UP. Apply early and indicate that you would be willing to start in the summer. You may be offered a branch campus.
  • WaitingInCPAWaitingInCPA Registered User Posts: 178 Junior Member
    What is the breakdown of the 1620 on the SAT? And the unweighted GPA? Because all schools weight classes differently, weighted GPA is almost meaningless without some knowledge of how the weighting works.
  • John2324John2324 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Reading-500
    Writing-530
    Math-590

And not sure what my unweighted is, but the way it works is if you get an A in an AP class it counts as a 5.0, B is a 4.0 and so on. I took 3 AP's in my junior year, taking 3 more in senior year.
    I'd guess around 3.6
  • SansSerifSansSerif Registered User Posts: 814 Member
    I really think whether you get in might depend on your major. Some schools, such as business or engineering, are more competitive than others to get into. And doesn't PSU look at whatever gpa they are given, weighted or not? Seems a 3.85 would offset a 1620, esp. since gpa is 2/3 of the decision.
  • XtremePowerXtremePower Registered User Posts: 1,661 Senior Member
    GPA above average.
    SAT on the 25th percentile.

Definitely in for summer.

Low chance for fall.
  • Etuck24Etuck24 Registered User Posts: 1,386 Senior Member
    If you're applying as a declared engineering major, you likely won't get into fall session without having to do summer.
  • SansSerifSansSerif Registered User Posts: 814 Member
    Didn't see he's an engineering major. I agree then, summer is more likely.
    Lets say I apply in September and take the SATs in October, is there anyway to update my SAT score if I improve? Or should I wait to apply?
  • Etuck24Etuck24 Registered User Posts: 1,386 Senior Member
    Honestly I feel like as long as you apply before the recommended filing date (November 30th? or the 1st I can't remember) that's sort of considered 'early'. I would get all of your scores squared away before applying, but if you choose to apply in that September timeline, email the office or call them and let them know that you're taking the October SAT. Decisions don't usually start coming out until early November anyway.
  • WaitingInCPAWaitingInCPA Registered User Posts: 178 Junior Member
    With these scores/grades, I doubt he would be one of the "early" decisions.

Best advice would be to study for the SATs and take them again as soon as you can.

And I'm not completely sure how PSU views weighted GPA, but I'm pretty sure they look at how it is actually calculated. Otherwise GPA is not a level playing field. My sons' school only weights an AP course by 6%. An 100% in the class will only weight to a 106 (or a 4 becomes a 4.24 based on our school's grading system). Your school is weighting an entire grade if an A (4.0) becomes an 5.0!
  • KvillemomKvillemom Registered User Posts: 309 Member
    On their website Penn State notes GPA on a 4 point scale. I would take that as unweighted.
  • luvthejluvthej Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
    not necessarily. You could be on a 4.0 scale, but also weight the GPA.
  • 1moremom1moremom Registered User Posts: 3,958 Senior Member
    The admissions bubble chart considers GPAs above 4.0.
  • KvillemomKvillemom Registered User Posts: 309 Member
    I meant on the Penn State Admissions statistics page. Also, I thought if it said 4.0 scale that meant 4.0 was the max. Just as we say, "Rate this on a scale of 10, where 1 is low and 10 is high" - 10 is meant to be the maximum.

If Penn State truly uses weighted GPA as reported by the schools that could definitely hurt some students. My D15's public high school has four levels of classes. AP classes get 6.0 for an A, GT and Honors get 5.0 for an A, and Standard gets 4.0 for an A. I would think that Penn State recalculates on whatever scale they choose to use in order to compare students. My D currently has a 4.0 UW, but a 5.57 W. It wouldn't be fair to compare her weighted GPA to WaitinginCPA's son if he also had a 4.0 UW. Maybe they also look at unweighted and compare rigor.
This discussion has been closed.