Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

height of dorm beds (storage space underneath)

mollyeatomollyeato Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
edited August 2013 in Penn State
I am going to be a freshman at PSU this year and I was hoping a current student could tell me the height of the bed (from floor to bottom of mattress frame). I am getting underbed storage bins and want to know how large they can be.

I'm living in Beaver Hall (Pollock) but any bed measurement would be appreciated.
Post edited by mollyeato on

Replies to: height of dorm beds (storage space underneath)

• WaitingInCPAWaitingInCPA Registered User Posts: 178 Junior Member
    We were told that there is 9" of clearance for the beds in East Hall.
  • GraphicDGraphicD Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Anyone know the height for North Halls? I've seen a picture and the bed looks like it is adjustable on its own without bed risers.
  • greenbuttongreenbutton Registered User Posts: 2,498 Senior Member
    You are correct. North beds start well off the floor, because there's a little drawer set/bureau to go under it. But you can hoist the bed frame up considerably farther if you want.
  • GraphicDGraphicD Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Thanks greenbutton! I know you have had a child in North so any insight you might want to add would be appreciated. Since North has AC is a fan be totally unnecessary?
  • mollyeatomollyeato Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Thanks WaitingInCPA!
  • KvillemomKvillemom Registered User Posts: 309 Member
    My D was in Beaver/Pollock last year. We took bed risers, but she didn't use them because she could fit the flat underbed storage boxes we brought without raising the bed.

The new dorms in South (Chace, Haller, and Lyons) have the beds lofted. Not as high as a bunk bed, but there are two large wood drawers stacked underneath. I'm not sure of the exact measurement. We also brought two plastic 2-drawer units (Target/WalMart) and she could still fit a case of water on top of them.
This discussion has been closed.