right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Housing Deposit/Enrollment Fee

CsarbengCsarbeng 2 replies1 threads New Member
So I've been accepted to University Park for the class of 2020, and I'm 100% sure I'm going. However, my family is in no position to shell out the 300$. Is there anyway to get it reduced? If that fails, what are the disadvantages of waiting to pay?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Housing Deposit/Enrollment Fee

• greenbuttongreenbutton 2812 replies129 threads Senior Member
    Forgive the obvious question -- if you can't afford the deposit, how will you afford tuition and housing?

The disadvantage of waiting is housing. The housing queue is formed in order of deposit. The longer you wait, the more likely you are to receive overflow/supplemental housing
    · Reply · Share
  • CsarbengCsarbeng 2 replies1 threads New Member
    Thanks for the response To answer your question, I have received a fair amount of scholarships that have left my need for a loan at a minimum. However, I don't think I can entirely justify taking out a loan for three hundred dollars; it's doable, but it would just take a while.

Is supplemental housing necessarily a bad thing?
    · Reply · Share
  • zipbagszipbags 298 replies19 threads Member
    @csarbeng I would call housing and explain the situation. Maybe, they can defer the deposit since you have a financial need. I would not wait to long. You don't want to be shut out of housing.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenbuttongreenbutton 2812 replies129 threads Senior Member
    He can't be shut out as a freshman, they are guaranteed housing as long as they accept their offer and pay their deposit by the deadline.To my limited knowledge, housing is not going to defer anything for anyone. They will tell the OP to just get the deposit in before the deadline.

Supplemental is a common room in a dorm, that has been turned into a dorm space. Beds, dressers, but not much else. Depending on the building, you have between 5-7 roommates and you are offered traditional housing as other students withdraw or fail to show up and eir dorm rooms are vacated. This could take a week, or until the semester ends. It's certainly not ideal (shame on PSU for finding it acceptable) but if gathering te money is going to take time, then I wouldn't worry about supplemental; it's not worth the anxiety. Some supplemental roommates end up deciding to stay there.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity