right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Do you think I can get in?

GorillazThoGorillazTho 0 replies1 threads New Member
So I wasn't even considering Penn State until a few days ago when I visited with a friend who has it as one of her top choices. I absolutely loved my visit, the campus, the students and basically everything about it. I was told by some of the students that I met that it wasn't too late to apply. I plan on going for Graphic design, and I took four graphic design related electives in high school and got all As in them. My GPA is a 3.2 and my SAT (super scored) is a 1660. I know that is a bit low for Penn State but I also had a few extra curricular activities (Forensics and debate, winter and spring track, Key club, ERASE club, and I was a apart of my church's youth ministry program) I also took a total of 6 honor/AP courses throughout my four years in high school. I really want to get in even though I know it will be a bit of a reach. Although some of the students I met said that their friends got into the main campus with a 3.2,
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Do you think I can get in?

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 16082 replies1082 threads Senior Member
    Admitted to one of the regional campuses, not University Park.
    · Reply · Share
  • jlhpsujlhpsu Forum Champion Penn State 2017 replies42 threads Forum Champion
    First of all, PSU doesn't superscore - so I'm not sure what that does to your SAT score. They will only take the highest one sitting of the SAT.
    It is not too late to apply - but it's very late to apply. Meaning - penn state is still taking applications, but because applications opened Sept 1 and the priority closed Nov 30, it is even MORE competitive to get in now. Your best (and I think only) shot at this point would be to apply undecided (DUS) with summer start.
    You can also start at one of the commonwealth campuses like Altoona (closest one to UP) and then go to main campus after two years. At least then you get two years of the campus you love.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenbuttongreenbutton 2812 replies129 threads Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    The graphic design program is only offered at UP and is one of the most competitive programs to enter. You first have to be admitted to Arts & Architecture pre-design, and then submit portfolio work to be admitted to the actual program. Complete portfolios and essays are due March 30 -- but your test scores and gpa are much too low, imho. PSU doesn't really consider ECs, just gpa, tests, and strength of schedule. Of course, nothing ventured, nothing gained ....

https://stuckeman.psu.edu/gd/programs/bd
    edited February 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • mainlinemommainlinemom 117 replies4 threads Junior Member
    I would say apply DUS for summer or Altoona in the fall. My niece was at Altoona for 2 years and loved it. Good Luck.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity