Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Chance me for Penn State (International Student)

lilystewardlilysteward Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
Hi, so I'm a rising senior in India and I'm wondering if I can have a shot in Penn State because I love it so so much.
My stats:

TOEFL : 91
New SAT: 1200 (retake in October)
Class rank: 5/30
GPA: I'm an international student so my scale is different. However, my grade is out-standing in my class (according to class rank)
Awards:
- Top finalist of an art contest
- Honor student in grade 11

Extracurriculars:
- Co-president for journalist club at school.
- Project leader/Organizer for a 3 non-government organization
- Debater Model UN (receive best delegate 2 times)
- Head of Public Relations for 2 different non-government organizations

Community Service:
- Tutoring (100+ hours)
- Volunteer to help disadvantaged children at a pagoda (2 weeks(

Work/Internship:
- Manager assistant for a local gallery
- Chief editor for an online magazine

Rec letters : (i think) It's beyond expectation because I got my vice principle write for me.

Apply for Financial Aid?:Yes
Intended Major: Marketing/Public Relations
School Type: Co-Ed

Replies to: Chance me for Penn State (International Student)

• bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 8,952 Senior Member
    Apply for Financial Aid?:Yes
    Can you afford PSU without financial aid? That is the most likely outcome.
  • lilystewardlilysteward Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    @bodangles I need at least 10k because my family cannot afford full tuition + housing :(
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 8,952 Senior Member
    If you are in the U.S. on a student or visitor visa, you are not eligible for federal and state financial aid programs, as these programs require you to be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or permanent resident of the United States. Therefore, financial aid for international students is generally limited to outside scholarships obtained by you through private sources.
    https://global.psu.edu/info/internationals-psu/financial-aid-information-prospective-students
    Because Penn State cannot offer financial assistance to undergraduate students from other countries, an international applicant must certify that sufficient resources are available to cover expenses for the first calendar year at Penn State, exclusive of travel expenses. You must also indicate how you will meet your expenses for subsequent years.
    http://admissions.psu.edu/info/future/international/financial/

• naptownnittanynaptownnittany Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    It's true. I think nearly all international students at University Park pay absolute full-price. Maybe check out the satellite campuses and the 2+2 programs and see if those are financially easier to swallow? University Park is super costly without financial aid, I was told when my daughter applied that it was extremely rare to receive any aid, and not to expect any. They were right.
This discussion has been closed.