Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Chances of getting into PSU main and/or summer session?

Chocolateshake7Chocolateshake7 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited August 2016 in Penn State
So I'm applying to PSU main and have also selected optional summer session (which i plan to attend if i get in). My declared major is finance in Smeal college.

My stats: 3.0 gpa weighted (lots of honors and 4 ap classes) 1710/2400 sat and lots of extracurriculars.

Do you think i have a chance of getting into summer session at penn state? I listed Berks as my second option.

Also Im a PA resident for the last 12 years (don't know if that helps in admission process but still...)

Replies to: Chances of getting into PSU main and/or summer session?

• bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 8,497 Senior Member
    You should probably apply DUS as well as summer session. And even then be prepared to go to your second choice. They're big on GPA.
  • japsmomjapsmom Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    Do not apply directly to Smeal. Apply DUS and summer session. Your GPA is a little low for University Park but you never know.
  • jlhpsujlhpsu Registered User Posts: 1,465 Senior Member
    edited August 2016
    You will not get into Smeal with a 3.0 at UP campus. Apply UNDECIDED (DUS) with the option for summer. That's your very best shot. You can still work on smeal classes as an undecided student and you won't be behind at all. My daughter got summer in 2015 and she had a 3.5 GPA. But it changes every year. So definitely apply DUS, with summer option checked and put an alternate campus.

You can look at previous years acceptance threads on this page to see what people got in or denied with. It's pretty extensive and you can see the ranges.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 32,449 Senior Member
    ^ I agree. Even for not competitive majors, you need a 3.5 weighted to get into UP. With a 3.0, you need to apply DUS + summer session to have any shot (odds are that OK'd get a branch campus so start thinking about whether that's what you want or if there'd be a better offer out there.)
    Apply to Susquehanna (AaCSB accredited)?
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,348 Senior Member
    Temple has a good business school.
  • johnthekid02johnthekid02 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Chances for PSU UP?
    GPA: 3.7 weighed (school doesn't do unweighted)
    Sat: 1100/1600
    12 ap/honors classes
    Major: DUS for summer
    @johnthekid02 : yes, especially if you've had foreign language up to level 4 (or AP), and/or calculus, and/or all three of physics, chemistry, and biology.
  • johnthekid02johnthekid02 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @MYOS1634 So far I've had 4 ap classe ( bio, psychology, stat, and micro economics)
    Including all levels of math and sciences classes completed as honors levels
    I'm also part of science national honors society
    Well, the calculation is for specific attainments or patterns.
    But odds are better since you checked summer session.
This discussion has been closed.