Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Question about gateway application of Schreyer Honors College?

psuschespiritepsuschespirite Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hi I am currently a sophomore at Penn State Harrisburg, and I intend to double major in math and finance. I will apply for Schreyer via gateway next semester and my first choice is to apply for a math honor. However, the way concurrent major program works is that both department have to work together to approve the academic plan, and this happens at the beginning of my junior year, which is right after the time gateway decisions are notified. So am I still be able to apply for a math honor next semester before my concurrent majors are officially approved?

Also I am wondering does Schreyer gateway admission look at student's forth semester GPA? Thanks for any help!

Replies to: Question about gateway application of Schreyer Honors College?

  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    You might be better off emailing someone from Schreyer and/or in those departments, since those are pretty specific questions that will only apply to your situation and very few others.
  • luvthejluvthej Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
    Gateway decisions are made by departments and how they review your data and their expectations differ. Contact the office. The most straightforward way to handle this is to apply for gateway through one department (the one you plan to do your honors research). You can declare a second major. SHC requires an honors advisor to approve the AP and course subs. This is best done by an advisor in the dept of the faculty member whom you will do research. Your thesis (and thesis work) would be approved by the department of your research advisor. You should arrange for a second adviser in the other Dept just in case specific questions about that major arise.
This discussion has been closed.