right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Waiting for Decisions - Penn State Class of 2024

OceanIsleOceanIsle 322 replies14 threads Member
edited March 24 in Penn State
Anyone have any guesses or intel on when decisions might start to roll out? Yes, I know that PSU communicates "by December 24th" for EA, but many colleges communicate similar practices and release in batches prior to that date. ;)

Who else is waiting?
edited March 24
576 replies
Post edited by CCEdit_Suraj on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Waiting for Decisions - Penn State Class of 2024

• dec1234dec1234 17 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I talked with an admission person last week and they said decisions could start rolling out in mid November.
    · Reply · Share
  • OceanIsleOceanIsle 322 replies14 threads Member
    @4gsmom I love that story! Thanks for sharing; so glad to hear of the positive outcome for her.
    · Reply · Share
  • SCresslerSCressler 9 replies3 threads New Member
    Waiting! Applied in August.
    · Reply · Share
  • SophleySophley 467 replies2 threads Member
    Hoping to send another kiddo to PSU. He applied 8/1 and is still waiting. Let the “OPC” begin... (obsessive portal checking).
    · Reply · Share
  • StephenLLStephenLL 2 replies1 threads New Member
    We were at a branch open house over the summer and they said mid October for Branches and November for Main.
    · Reply · Share
  • juju223juju223 4 replies3 threads New Member
    edited October 2019
    @StephenLL, did they say mid-November or early November?
    edited October 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • dec1234dec1234 17 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I was told by an admissions person that the 2nd or 3rd week in November they would start releasing decisions and continue up until December 24th for early action.
    · Reply · Share
  • jlhpsujlhpsu Forum Champion Penn State 1971 replies39 threads Forum Champion
    Here are the hard facts....nobody knows. TRADITIONALLY, decisions begin to roll out in November...but only for a very small percentage. The vast majority of decisions will occur in December for EA and January for priority.

Penn State doesn't really release in batches. All they promise you is "if you apply by X date, you will hear BY x date". That could include the very last day. Plan for Dec 24. Hope for earlier. But don't expect it.

· Reply · Share
    @jlhpsu , in your observation from the past (though obviously no guarantees), should a kid in the middle range of PSU’s stats who applied EA expect he/she will likely get deferred to RD? DUS Undecided and no summer start checked on the app.
    · Reply · Share
  • lucy_van_peltlucy_van_pelt 366 replies31 threads Member
    @OceanIsle so hard to predict - last year was the first year of EA and were kids deferred because of stats or because Admissions staff was overwhelmed and didn't get to them? (We all heard that rumor).

"middle range of PSU's stats"... what does this mean? I will break down how it is different:
    - GPA - 2/3 of decision. What is unweighted? Weighted? Rigor? Is the HS a strong HS? Does the candidate have required science/math/foreign language?
    - SAT - PSU does not superscore. This is about 1/3 (or less) of the decision.
    - Legacy/Sibling - any?
    - Activities/Grade Trends/Other - anything to help the student here?

If the kids really wants PSU, I would encourage him/her to check summer. It is a great program - kids get a jumpstart on things, adjust to college, etc. Many kids do it who do not "have" to do it.
    · Reply · Share
  • LM3232LM3232 184 replies13 threads Junior Member
    We aren't exactly sure that GPA is 2/3 of the decision, during my time here I've met many students who got into PSU with less than stellar GPAs. I think Penn State really does take a more holistic view of your application, taking into consideration your essay, rigor, act/sat, and any extenuating circumstances. If your gpa isn't the best but your other stats wow, you may have a good chance of getting in. We are all just guessing, we really don't know what goes on in admissions.
    · Reply · Share
  • HappyNJOOSHappyNJOOS 135 replies14 threads Junior Member
    During our campus visit and admissions session, they echoed lucy_van_pelt that the incoming class will be 2/3 GPA and 1/3 SAT (no superscore). Don't send resume, volunteering or letters of recommendations etc. All those extras become relevant when applying for scholarships.
    · Reply · Share
  • penmom222penmom222 40 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Someone on the PSU Parents FB page posted an acceptance today, so they must be starting to release
    some decisions.
    I have a freshman at UP who did (and absolutely loved) the summer LEAP program. I’d encourage your kids to check the summer start box (if you can afford it, as it’s not cheap).
    Good luck to the students (and parents) of 2024!
    · Reply · Share
  • simple0920simple0920 156 replies12 threads Junior Member
    @penmom222 correct, but that acceptance was for a branch campus.
    · Reply · Share
  • penmom222penmom222 40 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @simple0920 ah ok I didn’t realize that. 👍. Makes sense since it’s not even close to the EA deadline yet.
    · Reply · Share
  • lucy_van_peltlucy_van_pelt 366 replies31 threads Member
    @jlhpsu thanks for the shoutout! Back at ya!

In general, PSU has been known for being more GPA focused than test score oriented. I was surprised at this year's Spend a Summer Day when they showed the 2/3 GPA slide, since I had thought they were walking away from that. I actually took a photo of that slide for that exact reason. They have found GPA to be a better predictor of success... take that for what it is worth -
    · Reply · Share
    @lucy_van_pelt , thank you for that info. I had assumed that the 2/3 GPA stat was inside speculation from keen observers or people who had once worked at PSU but it's interesting to know that Penn State actually communicates that fact to the public. Adds a whole new ring to it.
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 2019
    Update: An acquaintance from my son's school district received an offer of admission yesterday from PSU. I am assuming this must be our Commonwealth campus since it's only October. The mother posted on FB and didn't specify which campus.
    edited October 2019
    · Reply · Share