right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

in state/out of state

way2bizEnowway2bizEnow 29 replies7 threads Junior Member
edited August 2006 in Penn State
My son is interested in applying. He is an average student who attends a prestigious competitive prep school. He loves sports and wants to attend a school that he can feel a part of. Mostly he is attracted to large state schools with a strong sports teams (D 1) although he has played varsity soccer, it is unlikely that he will play soccer in college. I personally think it will take up too much of his time and he will need to focus on school. My question is, how hard is it for out of state students? Some schools, like UConn say it is easier for out of state students to get in. Is this also true at PS-UP?
edited August 2006
3 replies
Post edited by way2bizEnow on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: in state/out of state

• karp4170karp4170 535 replies32 threads Member
    About 20% of PSU's students are from out of state. You can evaluate your S' GPA and SAT stats by visiting the following link:

http://www.psu.edu/admissions/steps/understanding/fyprofile.htm

I also remember reading somewhere (I don't remember where), that for OOS students the minimum SAT is about 100 points higher than for in state.
    · Reply · Share
  • cagb1016cagb1016 217 replies5 threads Junior Member
    When we attended an admissions info session at psu, someone questioned if it was harder for out-of-state applicants to be admitted. The counselor said no--basically admissions criteria is the same for in-state or out-of-state.
    · Reply · Share
  • dogsdogs 1046 replies46 threads Senior Member
    Rememeber the stats in the link above are for students OFFERED admission. The Freshman class profile of kids attending will reflect much lower averages for any college.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity