right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Before posting a "chances" thread read this . . .

G DadG Dad 147 replies8 threads Junior Member
edited November 2007 in Penn State
I always get a kick out of the kids asking the ‘chances’ question and the responses. Here is something from the Penn State Admissions web site for Guidance Counselors that may assist you in answering that ‘chances’ question, too:

http://admissions.psu.edu/info/counselors/bubble_chart06.pdf

DISCLAIMER: This graph represents the academic credentials of students offered first-year, baccalaureate admission for fall 2006. Every admission year is different in terms of the number of students who apply and the credentials they present. Therefore, the graph should not be viewed as representing absolute “cut off” or minimum requirements for any campus. Admission decisions are based on both an academic evaluation and individual considerations.
edited November 2007
13 replies
Post edited by G Dad on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Before posting a "chances" thread read this . . .

• GeordieGeordie 139 replies17 threads Junior Member
    Great chart.

Especially because I'm blue! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • xylophoneguy5xylophoneguy5 11 replies12 threads New Member
    just making sure, is this weighted or unweighted?
    · Reply · Share
  • metsman90metsman90 56 replies13 threads Junior Member
    I would assume weighted because the highest was 4.3.
    · Reply · Share
  • G DadG Dad 147 replies8 threads Junior Member
    Bump . . . this is good as anyone's guess. No '07 data posted yet.
    · Reply · Share
  • lindasmomlindasmom 7 replies0 threads New Member
    The problem with that chart --- it doesn't differentiate between the different campuses. For example, getting accepted at Greater Allegheny is easier than being accepted into Erie. The chart just shows the campuses collectively. So, if you've applied to Erie as your first choice and you fall within that graph, you may or may not be accepted there.
    · Reply · Share
  • G DadG Dad 147 replies8 threads Junior Member
    I agree, lindasmom. However, it is a tool just like using the Common Data Set as another tool. Section C. "FIRST-TIME, FIRST-YEAR (FRESHMAN) ADMISSION" of the common data set shows SAT data for each individual campus and Penn State publishes this data here: Penn State Common Data Set

So, using both those tools would give you a better idea of where you (or your S or D) may have your best chance. Hope this helps, we are waiting to hear back too!
    · Reply · Share
  • 1moremom1moremom 3871 replies96 threads Senior Member
    This helpful chart seems to pop up about once a month; I've asked the mods if they will "sticky" it.

Lindasmom, I hadn't heard that about the different branch campuses. I suppose I always assumed kids would apply to whichever was closest to home. Any idea how common it is for kids to apply to schools other than "their" branch campus?
    · Reply · Share
    1moremom, PSU is an extremely popular school among my D's high school, but not everyone chooses the same campus for different reasons. Erie has a nice engineering building and tends to be popular with people who love snow (for obvious reasons), and it's not a long drive from anywhere in Western PA. Altoona is popular for those wanting to be close to the main campus for football games or other activities. The smaller campuses, like Greater Allegheny, Beaver, are more popular for commuters. So for us here in Western PA, it really seems the students are split in their first choice of campuses between Main (for those who can get accepted), Altoona and Erie, all for different reasons. My D visited those 3, and there are differences in scenery and living arrangements, important for some.

We're all anxious in this house to receive the decision, when we receive it, I'll let you all know.
    · Reply · Share
  • tonerangertoneranger 3671 replies52 threads Senior Member
    The experience at my son's hs in Eastern PA was a bit different as far a branch campuses go. Pretty much everyone wants to go to "Main" - although a few clearly want to stay local and live at home - choosing a small local branch. Those who don't get into Main go to Altoona - or don't go at all. For the most part, branch campuses are not even on the radar screen. No visits to the campuses - nothing. They're viewed as "last resort" options.
    · Reply · Share
  • lkf725lkf725 4596 replies184 threads Senior Member
    Pretty much the same in western PA, except students here will consider the Behrend (Erie) campus in addition to Altoona.
    · Reply · Share
    My D received admission to her second choice - a small branch campus. She's extremely disappointed, but before we say no and just have her go to her alternative (she's already accepted), we're going to give PSU a chance. Although curriculum is the same from branch to branch, the outside activties vary greatly. Her small campus doesn't offer much, so she has much to decide. A few more visits are in order before the final decision is made.

The letter was dated November 12, received November 17. (admission decisions are almost always received on a Saturday).
    · Reply · Share
  • saxsax 5272 replies156 threads Senior Member
    lindasmom: In past years I have seen kids accepted into main after being accepted to branch campuses. A few emails and stating her willingness to start in the summer MAY give her a better chance at main. Good Luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • lkf725lkf725 4596 replies184 threads Senior Member
    Agreed. I know a few kids who were accepted to branches and "appealed" with the willingness to start in the summer, and then were subsequently permitted to attend UP. There seems to be one drawback, however. I think the students admitted during the summer are automatically listed as having an undecided major (even if they are not undecided), which may have some negative bearing on their course selection, advising or admission to selective programs within Penn State. I am not positive how this works, but it would be worth checking. For example, my friend's son wanted to study accounting and I think would have been accepted with this major at a branch campus, but he got into UP for summer. They declared him as having an undecided major and he later was not accepted into Smeal for the accounting major. It seems odd to me that they restrict major selection for admitted students, but apparently they do.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity