I am looking to apply to Penn State World Campus (online) as an undergraduate transfer. I plan to apply by June 1, 2009.
- 3 years full-time work experience in communications (solid reviews, annual raises)
- 5 years work experience in graphic design (solid clients, namely governments)
- I'm attending a top 60 national university, with a low GPA (around a sad 2.6 GPA, with well over 100 undergraduate course credits taken). There was one semester early on in my college experience where my GPA hit rock bottom (still passing grades). My GPA has risen each semester since it hit rock bottom, with the recent coursework at a 4.0 and holding. I entered the university as a freshman. I relocated, and want to both chance my majors and finish my degree in an online program (Penn State World Campus-Online).
Rising GPA (4.0 in recent semesters):
- I've taken 15 hours of graduate coursework in recent history: 4.0 GPA
- Another 15 hours in recent undergraduate communications classes: 4.0 GPA
- Overall recent GPA for last 60 credits: over a 3.0 GPA
Cumulative undergraduate: around a sad 2.7 GPA (graduate coursework excluded)
- GPA has risen significantly over the past few years. The past few semesters have been a 4.0 GPA, including graduate coursework (in psychology and communications).
- Numerous extracurriculars early on, then focused on jobs later on.
- 7 AP classes
- Over 3.5 GPA (I think it was only a 3.6): mostly AP and honors classes.
- Some extracurriculars
- Average GPA scores (the highest was a 31 on the English section, the other sections were around 27-30 if I remember correctly)
I am hoping to transfer to Penn State's World Campus to earn an online Bachelor of Arts in Letters, Arts, and Sciences with an emphasis in Organizational Leadership.
I am an out of state student, in my mid-20s. I am hoping to transfer in to Penn State and complete my degree with a solid GPA. I chose the wrong major as a freshman, and want to finally enter into a program that I love.
Do I stand a chance for Penn State's World Campus?
If so, are many courses likely to transfer? Would I stand a chance of any form of fin. aide? Should I transfer, or try to complete my degree at my current school (problematic, as I live far away)?
My undergraduate GPA started off terrible (started off a 3.0, dropped terribly, then started rising again), but I have since gained work experience and drastically improved my GPA.