right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Music, English, Psychology at Pomona College

cschpucschpu 18 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Looking for info/thoughts on music (classical vocal performance), English, and psychology at Pomona College - our 17-year-old daughter (currently applying to schools) is looking for a great LAC where she'd be able to pursue her love of those 3 subjects, and she's intrigued by Pomona. I know the music department at Pomona isn't large - would she still have good opportunities for vocal study/performance there? I know English is strong there - how about psychology? Any info you can give will be much appreciated!
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Music, English, Psychology at Pomona College

• braves450braves450 2 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Music: Great music faculty. People I know love taking private vocal lessons from profs (for free!) and enjoy singing in the vocal ensembles. Plenty of student recitals and also non-departmental opportunities like a cappella groups.

English: Also a great faculty - one of the classic subjects Pomona is strongest in and who could pass up going to a college where DFW once taught? Currently home to a great novelist, Jonathan Lethem. Plenty of really interesting and interdisciplinary creative writing and lit analysis courses.

Psych: Hear great things about the faculty (sense a trend here?). It's a very popular major but students don't have that much difficulty getting classes. Also pretty abundant opportunities for research and hands-on learning. And the psych building is right outside of the Skyspace which is a gorgeous spot to study and/or relax!
    · Reply · Share
  • cschpucschpu 18 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Thanks so much braves450! Our daughter just did a live Pomona webinar on academics today, and she's now even more interested in applying - it is great to know that her favorite subjects are all strong there!! She also really liked what she heard about the campus vibe and what it's like to be a Pomona student. She was originally intent on heading to the East Coast (we live in Texas), but southern CA is starting to sound better and better to her - I think she and Pomona could be an excellent match!
    · Reply · Share