Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it possible to earn an AS in Dental Hygienist as an undergrad?

hamstervesterhamstervester Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
I started college this fall as a freshman and I am currently majoring in biology as I have been interested in the medical field since I was little, especially dentistry. More specifically, orthodontist, since I spent nearly 4 years going to the dentist for check-ups with my braces and such. But seeing how it takes almost 10 years of your life studying and having to pay a huge amount of money, I’m not sure if I still want to pursue in that pathway. However, someone advised me that 4 years in undergrad and 4-6 extra years in dentistry will go by fast and it will all be worth it in the end— which I believe and I know takes patience and endurance and what have you.

Going back to the topic— or question I have, is it possible to obtain an AS in Dental Hygienist as an undergraduate? I thought about this because while I am studying pre-med, I wanted to earn good money to pay for my schooling while also gaining experience related to my career interest.

Is the workload difficult? Although I’m currently enrolled at a CC, I plan on transferring to a four-year university to achieve a bachelors degree in biology with an associates in either chemistry or biology from CC. Would I be taking extra classes in order to receive both an AS in Chemistry/Bio and Dental Hygienist in CC?

Replies to: Is it possible to earn an AS in Dental Hygienist as an undergrad?

• dentmom4dentmom4 Registered User Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    Doubtful. Does your CC offer an associate's in dental hygiene? Once you start the two year hygiene clinical program, you are in class and/or clinic morning and afternoon. Not much time for taking other classes.

Talk to the pre-dent or dental hygiene advisor.