Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are there any additional dental classes I need to take?

seojung99seojung99 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
I am currently a college freshman and I want to be a dentist. I am planning on doing the untraditional route and major in psychology and minor in art. I know there are prerequisite classes I must take and I made a 4-year plan to accommodate them all. However, are there any more classes I must take, such as microbiology, genetics, comparative vertebrate anatomy, multivariable calculus? I saw some schools recommended these classes. The problem is I don't think I have time to take these classes and I'm not interested in majoring in biology. Will I be at a disadvantage when I apply to dental school if I don't do many biology courses?

Replies to: Are there any additional dental classes I need to take?

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 24,270 Forum Champion
    edited November 17
    If you want to apply to Dental school, then you need to find out what are the required Pre-req courses you need to take to apply regardless of your major.

Students should contact individual dental schools for specific prerequisite information. Required courses generally include:

8 hours Biology with lab
    8 hours Physics
    8 hours English
    8 hours General Chemistry with lab
    8 hours Organic Chemistry with lab
    Majoring in science is not a must, but completion of predental science requirements is necessary.

A college undergraduate degree is recommended in preparation for dental school. Most dental students have completed four years of college.

You will only be at a disadvantage if you do not take the required courses specific for each Dental school application.
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 4,819 Senior Member
    If you apply to a school without completing their prerequisites, you likely won't get in. Some of them are necessary for as foundation for further study (microbiology for example). Some are simply hurdles (mult-variable). As @Gumbymom said, it's school dependent. Look at the requirements for a handful of schools and begin tailoring your coursework to those schools. If a school seems overly burdensome, skip it. Good luck.