Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

I want to be a shoo-in for the best medical schools in the nation.

TheGoodDocTheGoodDoc Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
edited April 2011 in Pre-Med Topics
I was just accepted to Pepperdine for undergraduate studies in Biology and I plan on enrolling there. My life's dream since age 11 has been to become a surgeon, and as such, I'm prepared to do whatever I need to to get into tier 1 medical schools.

It goes without saying that my GPA needs to be above a 3.6 at least. Preferably a 3.8+ (so I've heard).
Also, MCAT scores need to be as high as possible.

In terms of extra curriculars/achievements, I know that doing undergrad research, shadowing doctors, and volunteering at hospitals are all very desirable.

But what else is there? What else can I do to help seal the deal? I know that no one is ever really a shoo-in for top tier medical schools,as the competition is extremely fierce and there are tens of thousands of other kids who want it as bad as I do, but I want to get as close as possible.

A friend of mine who graduated from the Art Institute of Chicago was just accepted to UCLA medical school(which absolutely amazes me, he's a very bright guy, but I never though someone with an art degree would be able to get into medical school, let alone one as good as UCLA), and what he told me was "It's not where you went, it's who you are"

So what else can I do to set myself apart?

Med students: Knowing what you know now, what do you wish you had done as an undergraduate?

finally, I hope this thread doesn't come off as arrogant. It's not meant to be, I'm just trying to stress how badly I want to CRUSH my undergraduate studies, and how hard I'm willing to work for it.
Post edited by TheGoodDoc on

Replies to: I want to be a shoo-in for the best medical schools in the nation.

• MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    There is nothing you can do to "seal the deal". You can only work hard, get best grades and make sure to enjoy your UG years. The last one is very important component. So, do not try to fit your EC's into requirements, instead pursue your personal interests, it will pay off. Aside from that "In terms of extra curriculars/achievements, I know that doing undergrad research, shadowing doctors, and volunteering at hospitals are all very desirable", it is not just desirable, every pre-med does them, so you better do them also and make sure to have meanningful experience doing so, learn there. If you work hard and enjoy, there are no limits. Getting from state school to top Med. School is very possible. Combo of major(s)/minor(s) is not limited, any will do as long as Med. School pre-req's are covered.
  • TheGoodDocTheGoodDoc Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    thanks for the advice. It's easy to lose track of enjoying college when I think of all the hoops and hurdles I'll have to clear in order to actualize my dream.
  • gclooneygclooney Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    undergrad research, shadowing, hospital work... extracurriculars....

A lot of premeds approach this like a shopping list. Instead, seek to find what you are passionate about and commit to immersing yourself in it. That is why your art major friend got in to UCLA. Don't worry. If you want it as badly as your post suggests, just follow your interests.
    Thank you. So I think the message here is to find something related to medicine that I can be truly passionate about, then devote myself to it.

I'll try my best to be less mechanical/cookie cutter and more passionate/sincere about the extra curriculars that I choose in college.
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Registered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    But you need to also do the cookie cutter things. Necessary but not sufficient, so to speak.
    Thanks again for all the input, guys.
This discussion has been closed.