Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Informing the medical school or AMCAS?

mcat2mcat2 Registered User Posts: 5,942 Senior Member
edited May 2011 in Pre-Med Topics
Two questions:

1. When an applicant wants to inform the medical school which waitlisted him that he is no longer interested in staying on the waitlist, is it enough to email the medical school about it?

2. When an applicant wants to inform the medical school which has accepted her that she is not going to attend that medical school, is it enough to email the medical school only but not notify AMCAS?

I believe DS did these by email only -- unless the school provides a link to a website for him to do this. But I recently heard of the need to notify AMCAS as well. So, I am confused. I heard this is because, after May 15, each student can stay on the admitted pool of a single school only. I wonder how the admission system enforces this. -- It appears to me medical schools may "talk" to each other about all of theie waitlisted and admitted students after a certain date.

Thanks!
Post edited by mcat2 on

Replies to: Informing the medical school or AMCAS?

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,082 Forum Champion
    It appears to me medical schools may "talk" to each other about all of theie waitlisted and admitted students after a certain date.

Interesting....do they? Or are they logging into AMCAS or something to kind of see what's going on with various applicants?
  • mcat2mcat2 Registered User Posts: 5,942 Senior Member
    ^ m2ck: I think I'm pretty sure that, after a certain date (when?), the medical schools to which you have applied or admitted or waitlisted know exactly what your status w.r.t. all other medical schools. I do not know how they know it though.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon Registered User Posts: 12,128 Senior Member
    My kid just notified everybody by email if there wasn't a specific option on the school's site. If there was, she used that. I can't remember anything going to AMCAS.
    curm, Thanks, again. I just want to doublecheck whether my kid, who tends to be absent-minded sometimes, did something timely and properly. (e.g., He did not remember exactly whether he had participated in the prematch toward the end of January.)

A rumor that I learned from somewhere else is that, after a certain date ( sometime in May), after a student accepts the acceptance from a school, that school will immediately go to some AMCAS site designed to be used by the medical schools only to make a mark that this student has accepted the offer from this school. AMCAS's computer will then automatically withdraw this student's acceptances from ALL other schools on behalf of this student. The medical schools rely on this mechanism to make sure every student can hold onto at most one acceptance at any time after May. I am not sure this is how the system works though.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,082 Forum Champion
    A rumor that I learned from somewhere else is that, after a certain date ( sometime in May), after a student accepts the acceptance from a school, that school will immediately go to some AMCAS site designed to be used by the medical schools only to make a mark that this student has accepted the offer from this school. AMCAS's computer will then automatically withdraw this student's acceptances from ALL other schools on behalf of this student.

Well, it may withdraw the "acceptances," but I don't think it withdraws any student from any WLs.

Someone here on CC tells the story that his child was literally on his way to one med school (Stanford???) and got a phone call from another (Harvard???) and immediately changed his plans and went to the other school.
  • texaspgtexaspg Forum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,684 Forum Champion
    I understood that in Texas (it may be nationwide as MCAT2 believes) one can hold only one admission in the State after a specific date. They can decide to stay on a waitlist for a higher preference school. So one has to rank the schools that have admitted him/her and only the first preference is kept and all others are dropped. I don't know if the tool where one does it is AMCAS.
    texaspg, Toward the end of the application, texas schools have another magic date for IS applicants who are on the waitlist of any texas schhol: If you are an IS and are on the waitlist of any texas medical school, after June 15, you are no longer on the waitlist of any of these texas schools. This does not apply to OOS applicants who are waitlisted by a texas school.
  • BigredmedBigredmed Registered User Posts: 3,752 Senior Member
    Admission status is communicated between schools after May 15th (I think). I'm fairly certain that includes waitlist status.

If it withdraws students from anything, it would be other acceptances, but I have several friends who got off waitlists late in the summer, so I know for a fact it doesn't affect that status.

The safest strategy IMO is to personally inform/withdraw from each school you know you're not going to attend...including any that you're on the waitlist for, as a favor to other waitlisted students. IIRC, I personally informed even the schools that I had I yet to hear back from for interviews (admittedly...I screwed up the whole "apply early" concept to the nth degree) that I had been accepted to my top choices.

Edit to add: Texas is it's own entity and should otherwise be ignored (and this applies to more than just medical school admissions ;) )
  • texaspgtexaspg Forum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,684 Forum Champion
    That only applies if you are already admitted to a state school right? I have heard of students being notified just before the first week of classes at Southwest in August.
    ...to personally inform/withdraw from each school you know you're not going to attend...including any that you're on the waitlist for, as a favor to other waitlisted students.
    I believe this was what DS did -- maybe with the exception of those schools which have never invited him for an interview.

Thanks for the explanation, BRM.

texaspg, what you said is correct if that student is in-state and he has never been accepted into any single texas school by June 15 (I think it includes BCM as well.) In other word, after June 15, any texas medical school is prohibited from "stealing" an admitted IS student at another texas school. I heard a horror story that some "crazy" student, who did not get into UTSW but he wanted to get into UT-SW via WL after June 15, decided to withdraw from all of texas medical schools he had been admitted on June 15, so that UT-SW can "legally" admit him from WL after June 15.
This discussion has been closed.