Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Meeting Harvard Medical School Requirements

13»

Replies to: Meeting Harvard Medical School Requirements

• TuftsStudentTuftsStudent Registered User Posts: 570 Member
    Unfortunately, it's not going to make a difference until a critical mass of students adopt that policy. Taking only orgo 1 and only being able to apply to 5 schools...well, there are better ways to spend a year of your life.
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    I would say that sacrifices are worth it if you want to be accepted to schools of your own choices and have selection at the end. Be prepared to change your senior year schedule if needed. That's what my D. had to do. No emotions though, just do what is required, follow the rules and stay cool.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,472 Senior Member
    ^^exactly. Not all requirements must be completed before application season. You can always squeeze in the required class over the summer, if nothing else, or request a waiver. Sure, not as fun as The Beach or a Euro vacation, but if you want to attend xx med school....
    Unfortunately, it's not going to make a difference until a critical mass of students adopt that policy.

I assume that you meant med schools, not students? But I think that is the point of Harvard's early announcement -- to get more med schools to follow their recommendation.
  • TuftsStudentTuftsStudent Registered User Posts: 570 Member
    Bluebayou: Err, yes. And that is true.
  • YaziinyzYaziinyz Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    I'm not an expert with college courses or college...because I haven't even entered, I'm a high school senior graduating in a couple of days. But, I know my passion and I know the field I'm entering (pre-med) is a tough one. So...I wanted to look ahead and see what medical schools want EXACTLY. I looked over a lot of med. School Requirements. By far, U. of Oxford and Harvard U. have the most challenging Requirements. In any case, since I know that Medical Schools will eventually follow HMS, I thought I might as well follow HMS's Requirements.
    Thnx for ur replies...
  • dudecollegedudecollege Registered User Posts: 249 Junior Member
    "[Other] Medical Schools will eventually follow HMS"? I doubt it.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,472 Senior Member
    ^^Or, perhaps H is just following the recommendations of the other members of amcas, who have clearly indicated that Biochem will be a requirement in 3+ years. H is just swapping out Biochem for Organic II so as not to increase the required courses. And, as I've noted elsewhere, many colleges are reconfiguring their Bio I/II sequence (it will no longer be an AP-lookalike) and this has been underway for several years.
  • YaziinyzYaziinyz Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    You'll see, aamc is changing things around. What makes you think that other colleges won't follow? Give it a couple of years and you'll see. What Harvard is doing is 100% reasonable. If you're going to be a doctor, you have to know how to work with a human in a biological manner. For example, having plain calc won't help. However, like someone else mentioned previously, knowing things like the brain waves and how the brain functions, or knowing how to calculate the exact amount of doze of medicine for a patient depending on different individual factors will help. (I know there's a formula for determining the doze for a person depending on the age and bmi, but, to be a good doctor, you have to put into consideration other factors as well.)
13»
This discussion has been closed.