Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to get into Top Med school after undergrad?

hopeless2NUhopeless2NU Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
edited June 2011 in Pre-Med Topics
Im currently a high school junior and will most likely end up at a top 10 undergrad school. I've been thinking about different career options and have been strongly thinking about Banking, Big Law and Medicine. To become a Doctor, What will I have to do in undergrad? Is there anything I can do to make sure Im at Harvard, Penn, Stanford or John Hopkins for Med school? How hard will it be?
Post edited by hopeless2NU on

Replies to: How to get into Top Med school after undergrad?

• duncanidahoduncanidaho Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    Read all the sticky threads at the top of the page. I'm pretty sure every question you asked will be answered there or at least will narrow down the answer to your questions to a more manageable length.

If those are the only schools you would accept then the short answer is "Yes, it will be very, very hard."
  • Colleges00701Colleges00701 - Posts: 1,790 Senior Member
    1. Work hard, and get your gpa around a 3.75-3.8

2. Do well on the MCATs, get your mcat scores around a 35-36.

3. have a hook

An example of a hook: (originally posted by Norcalguy)
    Your hook needs to be something that is spectacular and memorable. First-author in a decent journal is worthy of being #4. But, so is being a Division 1 athlete. So is winning the Fullbright. So is Peace Corps. So is being good enough to play at Carnegie Hall. So, no you don't need publications. But, you need what I would call an "extracurricular-equivalent" to publications. Something that lets adcoms know you've reached the pinnacle of an activity.

Thread: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/1073598-how-important-premed-publish-articles-science-journals.html?highlight=publication+top+school

Im currently a high school junior and will most likely end up at a top 10 undergrad school.

Get into college first, no point in discussing colleges you are "most likely going to end up at". Read the following post about undergrad schools posted by BDM
    First, you have to get in. Seriously, a ridiculous number of Internet kids seem to take this for granted. Don't worry about schools you haven't gotten into. And DEFINITELY don't worry about schools you haven't applied to yet.

Thread: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/1122176-bluedevilmikes-ten-step-guide-picking-premed-school.html
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon Registered User Posts: 12,128 Senior Member
    But colleges, the OP is a high school junior. Risng senior? Or rising junior? Either way, they haven't been accepted to any college yet. The OP needs to take this one step at a time. Right now, the focus should be on ending high school in strong form to have great UG options.
  • Colleges00701Colleges00701 - Posts: 1,790 Senior Member
    ^^ Lol, I saw my mistake so I edited my post.

The first time around I thought the op was a senior....
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    OP,
    Get into bunch of them, then decide which one is the best for you. Any American Med. School is good. It is way too early for you to think which one would be reasonable for you to apply in several years, let alone which one will accept you. Even in regard to UG, the top ones are not the best for everybody, going to cheapest one that fits you personally might be a better option, more so for pre-meds than other fileds of study.. You need to focus on this now, forget Med. School.
  • premed4premed4 Registered User Posts: 944 Member
    The thing I don't understand is why you want to go to a top med school? Based on the other jobs you were considering it seems like for you it's because of money and not passion. I'm not going to lecture you on this, but you should understand that the Med school you go to doesn't matter that much when determining your salary. For example, my dad went to Johns Hopkins and now earns around 170K. While this is a lot, it's not a huge amount for a doctor, I'm sure there are tons of other doctors from lower down schools that make way more than him. The only difference is that the prestige of his med school consistently allows him to get research grants, which are good for what he wants, but since it seems like you're after the $$$, the research grants probably wouldn't be something your interested in. So, considering that I hope you realize that top med schools really don't matter that much unless you are going to want to do research and academic medicine.
  • SnorlaxSnorlax Registered User Posts: 216 Junior Member
    eh, for me id say its the fact that if you have a good shot a the top schools then you can feel a bit safer about the lower ones. of course there's no guarantee but thats the idea
  • eadadeadad Registered User Posts: 2,759 Senior Member
    Worry about getting into college first....med school is a LONG way off.

Med school admissions is a far bigger crap shoot than admissions to highly selective undergrad schools...there is no formula or predictability with regard to where you will be offered interviews let alone admission. Focus on getting into that "top ten" undergrad school....it's also not as easy as some think despite their credentials. Every year hundreds (if not thousands) of 2400/4.0/Val/Sals get rejected from schools like HYPS...nothing is guaranteed in the admissions game. Remember, there are over 24,000 Valedictorians in the admissions pool EVERY year.
  • UncannyCrayonUncannyCrayon Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    I know someone who performed a perfect sweep of HYPSM, and he wasn't even 1st or 2nd in the class. The kid who was 2nd? Got rejected from every Ivy BUT Harvard. You aren't competing with just Val/Sal people, but those who go to top prep schools, so really you are probably looking at least 50,000 kids with 4.0s and 34+/2300+ s.

It's a crapshoot, and I'm saying you won't get in, but the only thing you have control over is yourself, and it often isn't enough regardless of how deserving you are.
This discussion has been closed.