Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Currently a Psychology major (Junior) with a high gpa, want to go into science field

mk962247mk962247 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited October 2011 in Pre-Med Topics
Hi, I am currently a junior with a declared psychology major (no minor). I attend St. John's University. I have a gpa of 3.7. I picked psychology as my major because I find it a very interesting subject. My ultimate goal is to become a Psychiatrist. I also would be fine with pharmacy, or nurse practitioner. Those are my backup plans. I know for most of these professions I would need genbio, genchem, orgo, physics( if i decide to go for medical school). Is it too late? I may need to take on an extra year for undergrad if I decide to take these courses but it's not the worst thing in the world right? I basically need advice on how to go on about this career change. I will greatly appreciate assistance.
Post edited by mk962247 on

Replies to: Currently a Psychology major (Junior) with a high gpa, want to go into science field

• WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,569 Senior Member
    One alternative to consider if you're thinking med school is a formal post-bacc program. This is an 18 month-2 year full time program for people who want to apply to med schools, but lack the necessary science coursework. You will need to have completed your BA/BS degree first.

AMCAS has searchable database here.

Postbaccalaureate Premedical Programs - Search

You'll want career changer as the type.

~~~~~~~~
    Nurse practitioner is NOT a suitable back-up option for someone who doesn't make it into med or pharm school. It is an entirely different career pathway.

Why?

Nurse practitioners are a MSN degree level programs for those who already have a BSRN. You'd need to complete your nursing pre-reqs (which are NOT the same as the pre-reqs for med or pharm school), do the 2 year clinical portion of the BSRN program, pass your licensing exam and then have X number of years of job experience before being eligible for NP MSN programs. As of Jan 2015, ALL new NPs will be required to complete a doctoral level (DNP) program in order to obtain licensure.
This discussion has been closed.