Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why is Emory so bad for pre-med?

premed4premed4 Registered User Posts: 944 Member
edited October 2011 in Pre-Med Topics
I really like the school, but I worry about it a lot because of how low the acceptance rate for med school is for the students. For of school of it's caliber i would have expected it to be a lot higher. For example, Rice has about equal students, yet their acceptance rate is much higher. Are the numbers somehow distorted at one of the schools? or is there something about Emory that makes it bad for pre-med?
Post edited by premed4 on

Replies to: Why is Emory so bad for pre-med?

• i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Forum Champion Brown Posts: 8,208 Forum Champion
    Everyone's numbers are distorted.

Things can change over a few years, but when I was applying in 04-05, Emory was considered a great Pre-Med school.
  • emorydeacemorydeac Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    Emory is an outstanding premed school with an excellent acceptance rate. They are one of the few schools that actually posts their med school acceptance numbers while most schools simply state an acceptance rate which truly has no meaning. Examine Cornell's medical school acceptance graph and Emory's graph. You will notice equality in the number of students accepted with similar GPA and MCAT scores. The difference is Emory has many more students apply with sub par GPA's and sub par MCAT scores. As an example, for the 2009 year, 165 Emory applicants scored 30 or higher on the MCAT while 182 Cornell applicants scored 30 or higher. If you score 30 or higher on the MCAT and have a GPA of 3.5 or higher Emory's acceptance rate over the past 2 years is 80%-85% while Cornell's acceptance rate is 85%-86%. This begs the question why is Cornell's overall acceptance rate 71% while Emory's acceptance rate is 46%-48%. One explanation is Cornell's data only includes students applying for the first time while Emory's includes all Emory College applicants. Emory also has a high percentage of international students who tend to have difficulty gaining acceptance to an allopathic (MD) school. Moreover, many schools include acceptance to a DO school or a foreign medical school when calculating the medical acceptance rate. I could only find published data on Emory, Cornell, and Wash U. and find he other schools reluctance to provide such data highly suspicious when quoting such lofty medical acceptance numbers. As with all statistics, the devil is in the details. Emory is an outstanding premed school with great opportunities for meaningful undergraduate research, hospital volunteering, shadowing opportunities, and teaching opportunities as a supplemental instructor for the intro sciences. On a side note I also believe Cornell is an excellent premed school and this post is in no way an attempt to denigrate their program. Don't take what schools tell you at face value. Statistics can be manipulated to support nearly anything someone or something is trying to sell you. Dig deeper and you will find the truth.
  • norcalguynorcalguy Registered User Posts: 7,548 Senior Member
    I don't think there's much of a difference between the top undergrads to be honest. Schools manipulate and leave out data all the time. I applaud schools like Cornell, Emory, UMich who provide as much data as they can.
This discussion has been closed.